What do you think...

TJQ

I agree to the wash/inspection stations as well, but this shouldn't fall on the Provincial Ministry of Natural Resources. This should fall on the Federal Government. After all, they are the ones who are allowing the invasive species to enter in the first place.

If the Federal Government would control the ballast water on the vessels entering the St. Lawrence, we wouldn't have invasive species to begin with.

any lake that is contaimanted should be washed down, not just the lakes in the south.

are people really going to take the time to do it? i doubt it.

There have been invasive species in lakes from the begining of time. (birds, small animals can bring eggs from lake to lake) Lakes change and adapt. Unfortunetly i think we may just have to learn to live with it.

Cheers!

LOL, slam the fishermen and boaters? What about the shipping companies that brought in things like gobies and zebra mussels? Shouldn`t they be required to pay the costs of clearing our waters of them? Yes it is important to stop or prevent the spread of invasive species, but business gets a pass at taxpayer expense?

Just my opinion that a little more care in what is allowed to enter our countries in the first place would be cheaper than trying to clean up the mess afterwards. Take a look at the damage caused by the emerald ash borer, lose a species of tree to cheap imports? and who gets stuck with the bill? Do you take firewood to your cabin or campsite? Is it safe? Is it your fault?

No easy answer, but money talks and we pay.

Spend the money on the elimination/control of the invasive species. At this rate, pretty much every northern fishing lodge will go out of business because it's too expensive for our American friends to come up now with the loonie approaching parity with the greenback.