Fall Bass

Stoty

Hey everyone,

I was out on the weekend in that NASTY cold front/wind and didnt have very much luck with the bass.

I have read a few articles and some say to fish deeper main lake structure, but others say to forget deep water, and head to the flats/shallows.

What do the Kawartha bass tend to do for the most part? Stick deeper, or head shallow?

Has the water temp has dropped enough to make the Kawartha bass start turning to their fall habits?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I don't know about what the fish do in the Kawarthas but on Saturday I hit my favourite bassing spot. I caught 10 in total, 6 were smaller than normal. I was pleasantly surprised when I caught a two and half pounder which is pretty big for there. I then caught my PB for the lake a fall fatty that had to go 4 1/2 lbs.... I really thought the cold weather would have stopped or slowed the bite but they were feeding heavy right at the same spot I always fish, with no difference in depth at all. It might have been that the bass knew I feeding them last of the this years leeches though LOL.

In theory, on a windy day the Bass should be most active on the wind blown shoreline and on the windward side of islands and shoals.

The Zoo Plankton, eaten by minnows, is pushed to the windy shore, the baitfish follow the food and the bass follow the baitfish.

Waves hitting the shore form a rebound current that moves back toward the deeper water.

Some Bass will be in the shallows chasing prey, and others will hold slightly deeper picking off minnows etc that are caught-up in the rebound current.

That's the theory...

The problem, in my opinion, is that in deep, clear lakes, weeds grow to depths of 20 feet or more. I don't think, the wind and waves have that great an impact because wave action diminishes to nothing at about four times the wave height. So, unless your talk hurricane strength winds, any fish below about eight or ten feet aren't even going to know about the party...grin.

Hey everyone,

I was out on the weekend in that NASTY cold front/wind and didnt have very much luck with the bass.

I have read a few articles and some say to fish deeper main lake structure, but others say to forget deep water, and head to the flats/shallows.

What do the Kawartha bass tend to do for the most part? Stick deeper, or head shallow?

Has the water temp has dropped enough to make the Kawartha bass start turning to their fall habits?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I fished last Fri, Sat and Sun. We gave up trolling Pickerel and hit the back bays out of the wind. We had three days of action on LM and SM bass. The trick for me was dark blue / glitter Senko's fished real slow in shallow water near structure.

kawsept07.jpg

Edited by TroutSlayer

Troutslayer is the fishingest, quietest, photo-est dude on the board. Always great to read a report from Troutslayer.

BTW, does Chuck have plans to hit Massey Hall in November for His Rustness' concert? I plan to be there.

buck-eighty five for the good seats, going on sale tomorrow! :thumbsup_anim: