GPS Rcommendation

Letpikego

Can anyone give me some GPS advice? I have never used one and I may be crazy but here's what I'm looking for: A GPS that plugs in to the power source in my car that can also can be used with batteries when I get on a boat. I live in Ohio and go to an outpost way North with my son every year. When we catch a nice fish I would like to mark the spot with the GPS and also have local driving directions and Canadian directions all the way to Red Lake. Does something like this exist?

When we catch a nice fish I would like to mark the spot with the GPS and also have local driving directions and Canadian directions all the way to Red Lake. Does something like this exist?

It certainly does exist. Either the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx or the GPSmap 76CSx will do the trick. The 76 floats but the 60 is much more masculine looking. Take your pick.

The best and the easiest gps too use bar none is the lowrance ifinderh2oc color hand held. will do all that you asked for in your email. I have had it now for 3 years without any problems. The map soft ware which you can get for canada or the usa, maps are made on sd cards and is as easy as pie to use.

A great many GPS units do what you require. Let us know how much you wish to spend to get model recommendations. Bear in mind some of the units recommended will require the purchase of additional detailed maps to get the navigation features (or more specifically the level of detail to the lake you requested).

Cheers,

Barn

Go with Garmin GPS 76CSx. It has a colour display and a more efficient processor that MAP 76 in B&W which means your batteries will last longer in the colour unit than B&W. You can buy all the maps you will need as well as metro guides which give driving and All point of interest information. There is a company out of Quebec that makes a wicked topo map collection for Ontario. They are very detailed. I haven't gotten lost since. I even managed to find some previously unlocated lakes.

It has a barometer so you can track weather. You see the pressure drop quickly. Get the @#&$ off the lake. If your a climber it also has a barometric altimeter. It's handy. Electromic compass. Handy but finicky. You have to be moving for it to work properly. Basically it has everything you will ever need and more. I even found the alarm clock super handy will on vacation. Moon phases to tell you when the best times to fish, if you bother paying any attention to that crap.

I can't remember if it has a power adapter or not. I never bother to look. 2 AA batteries last me about 24 hours so I never bother to get concerned about power consumption.

My 2¢

I luff my 76CSX, with a 2 GB SD memory card, you can load the topo map of Canada on it. I know it's mostly rocks, lakes and trees, but they're all there!

The turn by turn directions are flawless, and battery life on two AAs is over 18 hours for me. Never be lost again.

The functions you describe are found on many mid and high end receivers. The distinguishing qualities are memory capacity, screen size, colour capability, waterproofness, buoyancy. The 76CSX came out tops imo. The Garmin units are popular enough that it is easy to find a cheap source for the unlocked maps like topo and metroguide.

Deano, that's funny right there.

Edited by douG

Electronic compass. Handy but finicky. You have to be moving for it to work properly.

You shouldn't have to be moving for your compass to work. The low end compass on some models depend on satellites to determine compass settings. In that case you must be moving. But that's not the case for the 60 or 76 series.

Like Dan said, but they do need calibration from time to time. On the 60CSX, you just have to make to full circles, to calibrate it. Then you can stand stiil and just hold it level instead of straight up, and she'll point which ever direction your facing. I wouldn't want a GPS without it.