Bluffers Staging

Toronto_Angler

I haven't fished bluffers for salmon in quite a number of years but I remember the larger "runs" of fish usually came later on in the season compared to other places on Lake O's north shore. It's always worth a try this time of year. There's the possibility of a staging salmon, brown, laker and perhaps the odd lost Atlantic cruising by.

Anyone remember the heydays down at bluffers when the browns used to swim up the ramps during a rain storm?

I haven't fished bluffers for salmon in quite a number of years but I remember the larger "runs" of fish usually came later on in the season compared to other places on Lake O's north shore. It's always worth a try this time of year. There's the possibility of a staging salmon, brown, laker and perhaps the odd lost Atlantic cruising by.

Anyone remember the heydays down at bluffers when the browns used to swim up the ramps during a rain storm?

I've heard stories about the heyday and am really upset I wasn't around then! Oh well I'll wait a couple of weekes to hit the east end tribs for Browns. For now I'll head to bluffers after work to see if I can catch any pike. I'll be there after 5:30 and I'll be the guy in the Leafs jacket if anyone wants to say hi.

Hey, I have some great memories of the heydays when they stocked 20K fingerlings per year for about 5 years, and yes, the browns used to come right up the ramps after heavy storms and the water would funnel down the ramps off the big parking lot. That goes back about 10 years or so mind you. Man, there were some big browns we caught back in the day. Fish over 18 lbs. were fairly common on the cooler nights in late October, early November. You had to get used to the nightly rising of the sewer rats after dark scurrying around the rocks that surrounded the harbour. There was also these two gentlemen who would arrive some evenings in the fall to "snare" a few geese using some coat hanger contraption. After slipping on goose grease a couple times, I wasn't gonna say anything about it. They were doing us fisherman a favour!! Tight lines.....

Guest Fishing For Life

Spent 3 hours at the west side of the Bluffer's Park ...

got nothing at all, not even a bite..

had tried everything in my tackle box including Little Cleo 3/4 in Glowing Blue, Glowing Green and Shining Pink

What have I done wrong?

Thanks

had tried everything in my tackle box including Little Cleo 3/4 in Glowing Blue, Glowing Green and Shining Pink

What have I done wrong?

Thanks

You haven't done anything wrong. Most nights I go out I have the exact same thing happen. You just have to keep at it and when they are close to shore and hungry, they'll bite. What some dont realize is that bly and I were targeting these salmon for a month and just landed my first one earlier this week.

I went after them last fall too...chucked spoon after spoon to the point where I thought my arm was gonna fall off and guess what? I hooked into one...it broke off in about 2 seconds. It's all about legwork and trial and error.

Edited by ccmtcanada

What have I done wrong?

Thanks

Even if you don't get a bite, at least you're not at home doing chores for the missus.

You can try various retrieves and lures (as you mentioned) - You could also stick it out longer as there are times where it will seem dead for 5-6hrs and then a huge school comes by at 3:30 in the morning... Sometimes continuous blanking is the name of the game till you hook into one.

Also I've heard on here and other boards and fisherman that it's too early to chuck spoons at the Bluffs. The bluffs guys are still targeting pike. The trout will come in a couple of weeks.

In my experience, Bluffers usually doesn't pick up till later on in the fall but that's not to say you can't get them cruising by. Last year, a good friend of mine nailed one in mid-august along with several browns. I haven't kept up with stocking records or factored in global warming so I'm not sure what the runs are like anymore...I probably should get down there for a try considering I only live a few minutes away.

In my experience, Bluffers usually doesn't pick up till later on in the fall but that's not to say you can't get them cruising by. Last year, a good friend of mine nailed one in mid-august along with several browns. I haven't kept up with stocking records or factored in global warming so I'm not sure what the runs are like anymore...I probably should get down there for a try considering I only live a few minutes away.

I also live a couple of minutes from there. How's the carp fishing there? I always see them spawning in the spring but haven't seen many people fishing for them anymore. They used to fish a lot before those ponds in the back had that gateway system built.

I also live a couple of minutes from there. How's the carp fishing there? I always see them spawning in the spring but haven't seen many people fishing for them anymore. They used to fish a lot before those ponds in the back had that gateway system built.

They're all over bluffers...Not in the same numbers as they were like 15yrs ago...I occasionally do a couple of trip down there during the summer and some of the anglers do alright with the carp. I found other places to fish where I don't slip on goose droppings or have to deal with people who feel the need to feed the ducks right next to you. Do you have to pay for parking on weekends now?

They're all over bluffers...Not in the same numbers as they were like 15yrs ago...I occasionally do a couple of trip down there during the summer and some of the anglers do alright with the carp. I found other places to fish where I don't slip on goose droppings or have to deal with people who feel the need to feed the ducks right next to you. Do you have to pay for parking on weekends now?

Yah they make you pay during the day on weekends for parking which sucks. It also sucks that they never empty the garbage cans and at night you have to watch out for the huge number of aggressive raccoons looking to eat.

Well, fished last night, got there at 10 pm.

Around 12 I connected with a fish, faught it for about a minute, then it decided to run... right into the weeds where I got snagged and fish broke loose.

10 minutes later, another hit, but no connection.

About 1 am, I got another hit and nothing came outta that but a fish scale... pretty big too... possibly carp?

So, pretty decent.

Toronto_Angler, next time you head off to the Bluffs, lemme know. I'm situated right on top of the Bluffs.

Guest Fishing For Life

Thanks for comforting me ...

even though hooking a fish is still the best way to relieve the pain

to be honest with you guys,

i have gone to Bluffer's many times until last year

b/c I have NEVER caught anything, not even a bite

i dont think i am a completely newbie,

but damn! not a bite!

I have tried to catch

- Pike with lures and fat minnows .... failed

- Carps with Powerbait, corns + toast ..... failed

- Lake Trout/Salmon ... single egg/egg sags .... failed

not even sunfish ....

that is why i stopped going Bluffers .. until you guys mentioned over and over again ..

I am sooo sick of getting skunked ..

Yes, you have to pay to park ... $4 for a day, i think

if you guys dont mind ... share some good spots with me ... thanks