Can it be done?

todmania

Hello everyone,

I've been a guest on here for the past year and have always enjoyed reading what people have to post. Its a very well rounded group here. I decided to register because I do finally have a question to ask:

On my friends boat the sensor for his depth finder has broken off and rendered the depth finder unusable. My friend is replacing the depth finder with a new one, that way we'll get the new sensor and everything... but here is what we were wondering. Currently there is only 1 depth finder in the boat... we are trying to figure out if there is a way to split the signal from 1 depth finder and have it directed into 2...

What I mean is, we dont want to throw away the old depth finder - we are thinking about moving it to the casting deck. But does anyone know of a way (or if its possible) to have the signal from 1 sonar sensor split and sent to 2 different depth finders?

Hopefully thats not too confusing... I know I just got confused when I proof read it... I'm just trying to think of some way to help wire this up and I figured that all of the guru's on this site have either heard of something like this happening, or done it themselves.

- David

Welcome to the board, Yes the unit can be networked but the catch is they must be nmea2000 compliant. Since this is a new 3 years old system the existing one is more than likly not compatable. The best bet is to contact the manufacture to see if they have a patch cord that will tie the two together. The down side of doing what you are trying for is you must use the same brand and possibley the same model as the old unit so you might be giving up a chance to switch brands. A new transducer can usually be purchased to replace the broken on for alot less than a new unit though.

Art

Thank you for the speedy responses. That is exactly what I needed to hear. The boat is a 2000, and the depth finder is around the same age. Finding the same model is probably out of the question.

It makes sense that only 1 fish finder would be able to run at the same time - I think after hearing what you gents had to say it is probably the best idea to look for a replacement transducer. And if we can't find one, then we'll just invest in a new depth finder.

Thanks for help.

- David

I was in sort of the same situation, I ended up buying a new fishfinder, and then I bought another transducer for the older one. Mounted the older one (fish finder) up front and the new one in the old ones place next to my driver seat. The transducers are almost side by side. Only one will work at a time as they confuse each other. So I use one while drriving and finding spots, and then use the front one for casting. Not perfect, but it is nice to have.

I would get a replacement transducer and then mount either the old unit or a new one up front.We run our front transducer on the trolling motor.It works fine and the only time you need the front one is when the trolling motor is deployed anyway. Special transducer for trolling motor mounting