Panfish overharvesting????

Guest Johnny Bass

Don't want to be argumentative JB, but there will have to be quite a few over loaded boats out there to clear out all the pan fish in just about any lake. And pan-fish do relate to shore lines, but mostly, they relate to their food, regardless of where it is on the lake.

Like I said earlier, I'd rather folks get their "fill" of pan fish, then other game fish who's numbers can't afford over harvesting.

HH

Guest Johnny Bass
This thread never ends well. Anyone want to take an educated guess at how many more posts before it becomes racially charged and dissappears?

The point has been clearly made, many different ways (ie. terry's and mattyk's) of dealing with it have been suggested. Possibly posting signs in these areas (paid for and sponsored by local fishing shops, the MNR or other C & R initiatives) that clearly state the regulations in a variety of languages would make sense?

Today our choice is, become part of the problem (ie. kicking a guys stuff into the water) or becoming part of the solution. Talk to local hatcheries, MNR, Tackle Shops, Maybe Shimano in Peterborough, Fishing Shows about sponsoring efforts to further educate these folks.

This is not a racist post as there are many people of all races who do this.I have a genuine concern and wondering what the long term effect will be on our fisheries.

They say it wont affect fishing? Lets see.... I used to fish Hastings when I was a kid and used to bring in one football bluegill after another. Do you think you can still do that? No.... Sure you can still catch pickeral but I believe the fishing has died down quite a bit.

Oh well....Only time will tell who is right.

This is not a racist post as there are many people of all races who do this.I have a genuine concern and wondering what the long term effect will be on our fisheries.

They say it wont affect fishing? Lets see.... I used to fish Hastings when I was a kid and used to bring in one football bluegill after another. Do you think you can still do that? No.... Sure you can still catch pickeral but I believe the fishing has died down quite a bit.

Oh well....Only time will tell who is right.

Johnny, if you understood from my post that you were insinuating racist comments, I apoligize. I have seen this thread about 50 times and each time it results in name calling and wives tales about smashing fishing rods and throwing buckets (sometimes full of fish) into the lake. It is generally not the original poster that starts this; however, it always ends the same way.

LOL the bucket brigade, here it is a mix of people, some follow the rules, some figure if the fish is big enough to bite, it`s big enough to eat and a 10 inch bass is bigger than a 6 inch bluegill so into the bucket. They make hunters take an education course here, some fishermen need an education course also.

We also have the problem of more people fishing than enforcement officers to cover all the places, and people know it and abuse it.

I know I always regret after I respond to posts like this, but I'll try it again...

In my local fishing spot, up until about a month ago, I saw people fishing illegally (mostly multiple rods) EVERY TIME I fish there. And I fish there 4 - 5 times a week on average.

Now, I have a similar background as most of those law breakers, I talked to almost each one of them in the language they understand about the law. None but one has been fished with one rod since but no one else changed. I remember talking to one guy who kept an OOS bass while I was fishing 15 feet away, and he kept the fish anyway. I called MNRafterward and nothing happened.

I am in the process of working with the town and MNR, to make a sign describing the water body and fishing regulation. Do I think that sign alone will help the situation? Probably not much for those guys but at least I hope the next generation will learn.

If you know where Toogood pond is and go there to enjoy the park on a regular basis. Please call 1-877-TIPS-MNR to report the violations if you see people fishing with multiple rods or keeping OOS fish. I am sure if more people reporting the violations one day the justice will be done. Same applies to violations anywhere else.

Edited by wolfville

These guys arent as stupid as they try to make themselves out. THEY know theyre breaking the law and obviuosly they dont care, and use any excuse they can like no speakin English. Just another reason why law enforcement should come down hard on them and the rest of us should report a poacher or violater, ESPECIALLY if you warned them. I cant stand or Buy I speak no English. Send them back where they came from. I guess they dont understand all rules then including rules of the road. No matter, ZERO tolerance for all offenders, no matter what the excuse. Report a Poacher

Heavy fishing pressure on panfish can be a good thing, especially Sunfish and Perch because they tend to over populate and then stunt. Have you ever fished a lake that seems to have nothing in it but a zillion itty bitty Sunfish or Perch? I have, and whenever I find a body or section of water like this. I'll catch as many as I can and cut them up and throw the remains back into the water. Come back the in a year or two and there will be some of the most beautiful Sunfish you've ever seen.