Opinions Needed....

mcallister.grant

Good morning all,

I am an active walleye angler and I would like to know what everyone elses thoughts are regarding the type of rod you would use, or the rod that you do use when you are fishing walleye in a current. I am a little torn on this, I have been useing a medium to light action 6.6 and it is a little to flimsy for me when I am in the current. On the other hand when I am using the straight Medium action, it kind of seems a little stiff.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Grant

EH! I'm a avid walleye angler myself,, I also fish current ,, here's my setup, 7'berkely Lightenin' rod, med action, I've been using the same rod for Walleye now for 15 yrs and I love it, when I'm

fishin' a lake I use a 15 yr old Bionix Pulse6'6"' med/lt... I like the med action in the current especially

if yer using heavier jigs..

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' with it..

ZZZZZZZZZZING!..............SNAP!!

Even though I know that med action rods make things easier, and are technically better, I still fish with an ultra light weight rig even when I'm fishing for pike. I don't know why, somethings I just like doing the hard way I guess. If you don't mind losing a bunch of fish then follow my lead. :D

Grant, that is one of the toughest rod choices to make. I have used many rods on the Detroit River, the Kawartha's and many lakes in Michigan. Personal choice is the only call I can recommend. I use Shimano 6 or 6' 6" med action, either Compre of Crucial. They have both worked well in many situations for myself and clients. If you know people that have a rod that you may like you could ask to try it while fishing with them.

With the type of fishing that you are doing it is a feel bite and do not be afraid to pay a bit more. Trolling rods will stay in a rod holder, but when it is in your hand all day you want it to be light, sensitive and have enough backbone to set the hook on a bony mouthed walleye.

Enjoy you shopping.

DCP_0009.JPG

I use both 6'6" med & med light action rods while jigging for walleye in the Detroit River (about 7 mph current) & I don't have a problem with any of them. Are the rods that you are using one piece or 2 piece? I find 2 piece rods too flimsy so I stick to the 1 piece rods.

Edited by Zib

Hello Grant...

Haven't used that many different brands of rods but of the ones I have tried while walleye fishing, my favorite was my fenwick 7ft medium (HMXS 70L) one piece. I would concur with the members that have recommended a one piece, 2 pieces just do not have the same backbone.