Spare Tire

Gerritt

My Trailer has 5.30x12 - 5bolt wheels.... I can pick up a spare tire assembly from BPS for about $90.00...

but would a 4.80x12 - 5bolt work as a replacement?? as they are on sale @ princess auto...

I assume the first number is the tire width??

also are the centre hub sizes standard?

Thanks in advance!

Gerritt.

Gerritt the first letter is correct and yes the 5 bolt pattern should be standard.

IMHO and this is from experience, if you are going to trailer your boat a lot buy quality tires not the cheapest ones you can buy. I'm not saying the one at BPS is the best because it's $90.00 you have to make sure of the number or plys and the load rating. Keep properly inflated. Bigger the better in my book.

My boat is a lot heavier than yours and I run Good Year Marathon steel belted radials and after years of using Carlilse's I'll never go back if I can help it.

Trailer maintenance is critical if you don't want to have any problems.

Hope this helped

Whopper

I would not want to run too long on the different tires, it changes the way it tracks, the way it handles the load and how it reacts to quick turns

but if it's only going to be used if you get a flat and when you get home you are going to repair/replace the other tire, then it's fine as a temporary tire

thanks guys.. I headed over to BPS as I am slowly stocking up on stuff for Quinte.. I picked up the proper tire 5.30x12 for 95.00...it is a better tire then the princess auto one as it is 6 ply vs. 4

As for what I picked up @ BPS I grabbed a Shimano TDR and a couple of Manns Stretch 20's

5 minutes to spend a 175.00 god help me having BPS so close...

Gerritt.