Lions Gate Bridge

brandon

Alright heres another night time photo. I don't mind taking pics at night but I've been working long hours at work so by the time I get to any location, taking photos in the dark is my only option. Hopefully on the weekend I'll have some day shots. Anyways here is the Lions Gate Bridge taken from Stanley Park with the mountains of North/West Vancouver in the background. The shutter speed was set at 30 seconds for this shot.......enjoy.

023resize.jpg

For those that are not familiar with the bridge the middle traffic lane switches from North bound to Southbound in the Am to facilitate traffic coming into the city. When I was managing our Canadian operation I had the fortunate luck to become friends with the gentleman that ran the rep organization we used in BC, and used to stay at his residence when out there on business. He lived in West Van on Millstream Road which was as high as the roads went. His family room view was looking South with the harbor on the right and the bridge with the skyline of Vancouver behind it. During the day the view was great but at night it was breathtaking.

Just saw some of your other topics with photos from B.C. great stuff. Check out my photo site it has lots of photos from around B.C. my favorite area by far is the North Shore especially Capilano and Grouse Mountain. The hike through the Capilano Valley is great and the Capilano Suspension Bridge is amazing and the views from Grouse Mountain are spectacular in the spring never been there in the winter.

Anyway here is my photo site if you are interested.

Enjoy Kawartha Kev

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kawkev/

Great photos Kev. I myself haven't been to grouse or Capilano yet because theyre just too touristy. I prefer the off the beaten path places. Plus if i'm going to do a suspension bridge it will be the Lynn Canyon one for free......there is no way I can justify spending almost 30$ to go to the Capilano one. I also try and take photos of places that other people really haven't photographed before. One reason I stay away from the touristy spots.......and the fact that I HATE crowds lol....but those are some solid panoramic photos.....supposed to be nothin but sun here all weekend so I'll hopefully get some more pics......and thanks Gary for that explanation......a lot of the highways here are like that.....but it sure is a pain in the ass if your stuck on the side that turns to one lane.

Nice job Brandon. I really enjoy night photography. You can get so many different results by changing your shutter speed and aperture. I took a bunch of shots last weekend. Here's one that I liked. I can't believe that I got star trails with a 30 second shutter speed, but apparently I did.

nipisun.jpg

That's an awesome picture! I really want to get some good star trail photos with mountains in the background and seeing your photo just gave me plans for tonite lol. I'm going to head up Mt. Seymour and see what kind of star trail shots I can get or just stars in general. Here is a 30 minute exposure photo I took from 1030-1100 one night back in Orillia. There was a street light to the back right of the camera which gives that extra light you see....

004resize-2.jpg

I don't have the luxury of a 30 minute shutter speed Brandon. 30 seconds tops for me. Good luck with your outing tonight. I just might get up early and catch the sun rising over the Sleeping Giant in Lake Superior. But then again, sleep is a nice thing too. We'll see.

Beauty pics Brandon keep the shots coming .I have been to BC a few times.Despite the crowds you should get up to whistler on Blackomb mountain 7400 vertical feet to 7th heaven.Grouse Mountain is worth the visit some awesome views of the city.If you have the time cross the border in to Washington state Mount Baker is a great place to visit minus the crowds.Get over to Nanaimo the trees are spectacular.Oh and in the bars the women ask you to dance and they out number the men 5 to 1.Oh you gotta love the scenery in BC. :thumbsup_anim:

MTP

Hey Brandon

The Capilano Suspension bridge and Grouse Mountain are touristy places but the 2 times I hiked the trail up from the Suspension bridge to Cleveland Dam I saw very few people and the trail system was great and the giant fur tree has to be seen to be believed. I don't know if you checked out the photos from Capilano in my albums but the photos of that giant fur tree don't do it justice. Keep the photos coming!!

Thanks Kawartha Kev

P.S. There is a small "suspension" bridge along the Capilano trail up to Cleveland dam I don't think I shot any photos from it and the fish hatchery is an interesting place to visit.

Enjoy!!

Kev,

I went to Cleveland Dam today but I picked a horrible day. They were having soem walk for charity thing there were tons of people.....not to mention loads of garbage and other crap people through to the bottom of the dam which doesnt make for great pictures. I was also dissapointed with the fact that you couldnt get down to the shore of Capilano lake. I wanted to take some photos of the lake with the "lions" in the background but all fences got in the way. I hiked from there to the hatchery which was a cool place but again just packed with people and even more garbage. I didnt happen to see a suspsension bridge along the way but maybe I just missed it.....Now that I thinkabout it I made a left to go to the hatchery instead of going straight to follow the river along and I probably walked by the bridge then. I'll have to head back and try and find it some other time.

Too bad about all the people hope you get back did you see the giant fir? By the way when I say "suspension" bridge it is not really a big cabled bridge like the Capilano Bridge its more like a foot bridge and having reviewed the trail map I think it might have been just below the fish hatchery and it might be called the pipeline bridge. Anyway hope you got some photos keep posting I enjoy them all even from places I haven't been to.

Kawartha Kev