One for the Mechanics

mason05

I stopped in for some gas this afternoon at a local station and the guy working passed on a "tip". He said he adds a litre of diesel to his full non leaded tank of gas in his truck. He explained that this is by far one of the best injector cleaners and that his truck runs tip top as a result. He does this once a month and has been doing so for some time. Is this method good or bad in your opinion? It sounded strange to me but I'm not overly fluent with the mechanics of vehicles. Any thoughts?

Corn Nug

just don't put a full tank of deisel in.....I did once not paying attention to the pumps....well I was in Ohio and usually here in Canada the nozzle sizes are different so a deisel nozzle wouldn't fit in the hole in your gas tank.....well at this pump it did and I filled her up....I got about a block away and the car stopped dead. Smelt the tank and said crap and went back to the gas station and the deisel sticker I swear was only about 1 inch by 4 inches. Thank god it was a rental car....LOL and it only cost me a $100 to drain the tank...filled her up with unleaded and she started and ran fine. Most expensive tank of gas I ever had....$200. So the lesson is look carefully for the deisel sign cause the nozzle size is not always bigger like it is supposed to be..

I've heard of people doing that, but it doesn't make much sense. Diesel doesn't burn with spark. It requires heat and compression. You might as well dump 2 stroke oil in there. Fuel conditioners usually contain highly flamable chemicals like napthalene that clean and burn out not moderately heavy oils like diesel that will leave deposits since it can't burn out.

Edited by boatman

same as boatman... diesel is a thicker fuel and has a higher flashpoint there would be no reason for it to clean anything.... This guy you met at the gas station is probably thinkin' Wow !! my car is now smoking I must be cleaning something.. If you must clean the fuel system try a can of Seafoam..

available pretty much everywhere.. part ## SF16 works great..

I do Not reccomend using the diesel...If you do I just might see you at my parts counter looking for something expensive .

Dieseil fuel tends to be dirtier than gas and collects moisture easierm most trucks (tractor trailers) have a fuel filter on them as large or larger than a cars oil filter. Ever try to clean greasey parts with diesel fuel? it doesn`t work, too much like oil, won`t cut the grease. It is more like home heating oil than gas. Probably a small quantiy mixed with gas wouldn`t hurt, but I don`t see it helping clean injectors. Might add some lubricity, gas is a drier fuel.