Garmin GPSMap76 opinions/feedback

Uncle Buck

I really like mine

but I don't use it much any more as I also have the map76cs

but the non colour one isn't bad all the maps work, you need a serial number for hydro maps so you must buy them ,but the canada topo maps need no number on it .if it fits your budget it will fill your needs

Lovin the 76CSX, Goran. I think that mail order out of Alberta is the cheapest price around at http://www.gpscity.ca/ and no PST. Still not much change from your $500 bill, and around twice the price of the 76.

Apart from the colour screen, the big advantage of the CSX is the expandable memory feature. Memory is very cheap these days, so I put a 2 gb memory chip in mine, much better than the limited 8 mb that comes with the 76.

It's still a good chunk of change, but you won't regret getting it.

Edited by douG

It's not just for fishing, Tony. I had it lead me thru Winnipeg from the airport to the TransCanada. The turn by turn directions were flawless. At first, my passengers who had been to Winnipeg before were giving me other instructions, but after a while they shut up.

I'm sure that they all do this, but still very kewl.

Edited by douG

Hi Goran,

I sold my GPSMap 76 to jjcanoe. I didn't sell it because I didn't like, just never used it after getting the sonar/gps Lowrance. It worked very well and the base map was better than Lowrance software at Lakair. Nice big screen, easy on 2 AA batteries. I got mine on sale at Canadian Tire for $170.

Keep an eye out there or maybe Terry can sell his used 76?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I needed a hand-held gps.

-Brian

I have the 76CSx and I'm so happy i got the big model. The color screen is so nice! you never wonder "is that a topo line or a creek?"

also, the "S" feature (the compass) gives you direction while you're standing still... with the other models you have to be moving for it to know where you're facing. An impossible task while stalking moose in a tag-alder swamp.

I have the 76C and it works great. The colour screen is nice. The only thing I don't like is that everything is a little small. Smaller even than my old Garmin eMap, which makes it a little difficult to use in my truck. I know this isn't a big issue, but since I use mine in the truck, on foot and on the water its a concern for me. If the 76 only comes with 8MB of memory you will probably fill that up fast. The base maps are ok, but I found them lacking for my needs and upgraded the mapset. I'd like to get the charts too, but I've been to cheap to buy them.

I have a dash mount for mine, but I have the base mounted to a metal cell phone mount instead of using the sticky pad it comes with. those sticky pads don't work in a vehicle and make a big mess that is nearly impossible to clean off your dash.

I have the E-Trex Legend which accepts maps. However, I just use the base map because nav maps very pricey. I use the Mapsource software along with Google Earth to plan my trips, by plotting the waypoints, tracks, and routes, and then just transfer them to my GPS unit, which seems to work fine. Just out of curiosity, I looked into the bluecharts, and please correct me if I am wrong, but I find that except for the major bodies of water there are very few, if any, maps for the inland lakes in Ontario. Bluechart seems to cover only US inland lakes. It seems to me that navionics has a much broader selection of maps that are more suitable for our lakes.