Salmon Watching spot?

wuchikubo

Hi All,

I recall someone asking this question last year but since I can't find the last post, I'll ask it again.

Where is the best place to watch salmon jump up a fish ladder or similar? I'm in Markham, my wife and kids want to watch the salmon jump in reasonable comfort. I'm not looking for a fishing spot, I've got a couple of those already, just a watching spot.

What time of day is best for salmon jumping?

For those who don't want to post the spot on the board, please PM me.

Stan

Any of the east tribs with a fish ladder are good.........just need the fish to go up the rivers!

Bowmanville has a good one, and usually gets a good run. Port Hope is a nice spot as well.

I'm of no help anywhere but the east end.

Sinker

While everyone is at it, anyone know a good spot where I can watch walleye on my fishfinder in the Midland/Honey Harbour area?

I like nothing more than to cruise around listening to my fish finder ring, but I never seem to have much luck.

Thanks.

Any of the east tribs with a fish ladder are good.........just need the fish to go up the rivers!

Bowmanville has a good one, and usually gets a good run. Port Hope is a nice spot as well.

I'm of no help anywhere but the east end.

Sinker

Thanks Sinker for the suggestions, I'd be more than happy to give those places a look. Are they really fish ladders or just a single dam. I don't need have fishing in those spots only a good viewing area for the kids. Could you PM me some details.

FHR - I've seen the Milne dam, it's not a ladder, not very easy to look at by kids and the water smells like sewer water (the last time I went, I almost gagged). The Toogood pond has a fish ladder but I don't know of any Salmon or trout that would make it there past the Milne dam, makes me wonder what they were thinking about when they built it.

JD - wise@$$, try going over to the channel and turning up the sensitivity to high, it'll make all the little bit of weed passing look like monsters! LOL

Stan

I used to go to Duffins creek to watch the salmon jump the dam when I was a kid. It's a bit of a hike from the car. I remember having to jump across a small ditch to get to it though.

Ganaraska has a nice viewing platform to watch the salmon jump into the ladder.

132_3231.jpg

Here's Bomanville from a few years ago..It was quite late in the season.

20050924014.jpg

Humber river is another place to take the kids. I spent some time there in between classes watching the fish go up.

As far as the one that leads into Toogood pond, the steelhead do make it there in the spring...What they do in there is beyond me. I'm not sure if there are any suitable places to spawn north of the pond.

I think you have your answer, but, yes...bowmanville and port hope are fish ladders. They're both great spots for kids too......I took mine down to bowmanville last night actually. There aren't many fish in yet, so wait a while before you head out. We didn't see any in the river itself, but saw a couple fish surface in the pool below the dam. The water is soooo low, I don't know how they're gonna get up the river this year!!

I'll PM you some directions if you need them.

Sinker

Definately Bowmanville or Port Hope for the eastend anyway. You can get nice and close to the ladders to see the fish jumping..

MJL- I've been to Bownmanville several times over the last year or so and I've never seen the water that clear. That's a cool pic. Most you could see whem I have been there was when they jumped or broke the surface swimming around. Really stained waters.

MJL - Nice pics MJL, looks like a couple of spots to consider for sure! Thanks. I'll be keeping a eye out for posting on when the fish may be near the spots.

Sinker - thanks for the update, I guess this weekend may still be too early unless we get a bit of rain but I don't see it in the forecast. I'd still appreciate the directions if you get a chance. Thanx in advance.