Shmorgishborg Today On Long Island Sound

FishHeadRic

Raf I' was talking to some of my friends the othere day and it's funny cause we consider them a scurge, especially when we're targeting other species. I was stating the fact that if you haven't caught a bluefish before that they really are an amazing fish to catch. But I guess it's kind of like those ole' timmers that'll just cut their lines if they get a muskie while fishing for walleyes.

Ohh I'm not interested in eating them. You called them EVIL and great fighters, that's all I needed to hear. ;)

Great report FHR!

Bluefish are my fish of choice for catching off the piers in FLA. Although they don't get as big down there as they do up north they are great fighters. I had a 3 pounder about five years ago try to remove my right thumb while trying to unhook it, it was like a pitbull.

I never kept them for table fair until someone asked me to keep a few for the BBQ, bled them right away and kept them on ice, fired them up on grill a couple hours later and they were delicious.

Thanks for sharing!

Whopper

Blues are very oily but taste well when broiled and served with drawn butter. Nice take Ric .

I have been sitting out on a surf broad watching bait fish explode from the surface being chased by blues ,all around me . Pull up your feet !!!!!! I do love fishing for them in the surf when the strippers aren't running.

I'm heading out to Sandy Hook on Sunday for Blues and Strippers

Edited by ALEX

Nice and thick this fluke. I'm gonna fillet it and roll up some asparagus, arugula and raw cashews inside of the fillets with a red pepper and Gorgonzola sauce. ummmmmm.....

image00018~0.jpg

Take care,

FishHeadRic

Very nice report! Nice of you to bring some salt-water fishing to the board.

That fluke would be mouthwatering delicious cooked the way you describe.

Thanks for post,

ehg

Great report, I've caught alot of bluefish the one time I was in CT, they were good eating, trim the skin off. Some locals said they only kept them for cat food LOL.

Based on their numbers in schools and the way they hit and fight, I wouldn't be in a float boat with blues around, but thats just me, plus a stringer full of other fish...shark chum, again, thats just me. Thanks for the great pics.