Can this be welded?

boatman

I have an outboard with a broken tiller handle bracket. You can see it in the following pictures. The broken piece is cast aluminium and about 3/16 thick. Can it be welded back together or do I have to go shopping for a steering bracket to fit a 1954 Evinrude?

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php?photo=130979

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php?photo=130980

Edited by boatman

save your dough and get a newer motor. earlier this week i was asking questions about fixing a 1992 trolling motor was given good advice not to restore an antique. to bite the bullet and get some newer technology one thats lighter quieter more fuel efficient and faster this is probally a good idea for yourself.unless your emotionally attached to that old girl id upgrade.

Oh that's good to hear, Glen!

I collect these old motors so upgrading would defeat the purpose. I don't NEED this motor since I have another dozen or two, but I sure love to fix and run them. My primary fishing boat has a 1988 Johnson 30 hp. That's as new as I plan to get.

Thanks

:stretcher: maybe weldable; white metal is hard to make stick , a good welder with the proper skills

can do it with the right rods, my neighbor is a Unionized welder and will not touch white metal, my father-in law is a steamfitter[works with white metal] welds white metal everyday. it all depends on whom you go see.

as for chemical welds , you may try Red Hot 2000, J/B weld slow cure , or even reinforce it with a custom clamp of somekind.

good luck with the resto.

MM

Yeah, that's what I figured. I wasn't sure if it could be done. I have two of these motors and both have the exact same problem. I found a replacement bracket for $20 so I bought it, but I might try the Red Hot 2000 or J/B weld slow cure you mentioned on the other. I don't think regular JB weld will work in this application.

Thanks a lot, everyone.

Just a tack on:

It has been a little over 10 years since I tried to get cast aluminum welded. I don't think things have changed much.

From experience, even it it gets stuck together and seems good, a weld will not hold up to any mechanical stress for long.

Stuntman