Need Tips: Pike Fishing in August in Northern Ontario

canadianguy33

Hey people,

I was just wondering if you any of you have any tips for pike fishing in late August up north (Temagami area). The reason I ask is because my annual one week fly-in fishing trip is coming up and I want to make the most it.

Here's some info about the lake we'll be fishing:

Ashton Lake (small private lake where we'll be the only group fishing so tips are far and few hehe)

Length: about 2 miles max.

Depth: the deepest parts of the lake averages 30-40ft and the deepest part is 60ft.

Species: pike, walleye, small and largemouth bass etc..

Structure: lots of structure and islands but no too many weeds

Last year we marked a lot of walleye (same time of year) at around 30ft-40ft, but sitting in the same spot, jigging those guys wasn't really that exciting. I mean, catching them was almost too easy, so most of the week we just trolled around the lake catching whatever walleye and pike bit the line. Also, none of the bigger walleyes we caught were deeper than 20ft as strange as that may sound.

This year, I think I'm going to focus on catching pike. Last year I caught about 15 for the week, with an average size being around 26-30" and the largest being 40". I'd like to increase these numbers and catch around 4 pike per day and hopefully hook in to one of the 50" monsters that are in the lake.

Anyways, I'm thinking that the big pike just might be in the deeper/colder water, hiding out to grab the walleye so I'm considering using a 3 way swivel rig to get down deep and cover a lot of area. By no means am I a fishing pro and I'm really just guessing with the lures I use so I'd really appreciate any info for catching pike at this time of year.

O, by the way, we had absolutely no luck with 5 of diamonds or red devils last year. The thing that gave us the most luck was big 9" perch rapalas. I'm going to get a couple more of those this year, and I'm thinking that maybe something even bigger would work.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Take your mittens and Mukluks!!!... I hear it starts gettin' cold up there sometime in July!

When you get old like GCD its all in your brain.He is just dissapointed that he could not display his half naked

ass up in Lakair due to a little cold front :whistling: Oh and he has those cottin sweaters too :whistling:

Southern woosy :whistling:

Red devil #1 ,mepps spinners long Rapalas big spoons and don't forget leaders.

When you get old like GCD its all in your brain.He is just dissapointed that he could not display his half naked

ass up in Lakair due to a little cold front :whistling: Oh and he has those cottin sweaters too :whistling:

Southern woosy :whistling:

Red devil #1 ,mepps spinners long Rapalas big spoons and don't forget leaders.

...at least I didn't fall my dumbass outta the boat eh? :rolleyes:

I will be back in the 18 footer sunday morning.MTP :P

Maybe youy should put some pontoon/outrigger/ stabilizer thingies on that one too... just incase eh?

pink/white X-Rap worked while talking to someone else in the boat is a Pike catcher!

Edited by Greencoachdog

No those are for trackers not lunds :whistling:

... but what if the 50 Ukrainian Boy Scouts aint around to save yerass again???

uh!... sorry canadianguy33... Slopmaster Tandem spinnerbaits in black/orange and the new saltwater Shad X-Rap in black/silver!

Edited by Greencoachdog

LOL you guys are hilarious.

Thanks coach!

I already have a bunch of stuff similar to the slopmaster tandem, but regarding the shad x-rap is this the kind of thing you're referring to?

I don't quite know the terminology, but I thought "shads" were the fat lures? Do you think I should be looking for a big fat lure that goes 25'?

Edited by canadianguy33

Thanks for the tip Mike. This Yozuri hydro minnow looks awesome and is exactly the kind of thing I think I need (especially for getting down deep, the weight rig seems really simple). Unfortunately, I won't be able to get that lure in time. Do you have any suggestions for a alternative?

**curses myself for not knowing about yozuri minnows** :wallbash::D

not sure where to fish it will depend on the temperature.we took a mix bag of lures to the far north in the spring.blue x rap worked wonders caught lots of numbers plus the big fish of the trip 20 plus lbs. clown pattern x-rap worked well for both walleye and pike.silver williams wabler around 3" was on fire for numbers snap the lure erratic and aggressive.and lets not forget good old riplin redfin this is a great choice for pike they cant help themselves.those where our main lures but we got them on just about any minnow immitator.seeing how its later than we went bigger baits might be your bet.happy hunting those gators.

Thanks for the tip Mike. This Yozuri hydro minnow looks awesome and is exactly the kind of thing I think I need (especially for getting down deep, the weight rig seems really simple). Unfortunately, I won't be able to get that lure in time. Do you have any suggestions for a alternative?

**curses myself for not knowing about yozuri minnows** :wallbash::D

Le Baron's usually has the Yozuri's in stock.Manns 30's are the alternative.good Luck,MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

If yer looking at a bit bigger baits the Super shad raps will do the trick.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

One thing we use here for musky to get you down is inline sinkers or canon ball sinkers 5-6oz will get you down to the fish just need to have a snap swivel on your main line then attach the sinker on the other end you will attach a 3-5' leader with two swivels on it one at each end clip on onto the sinker and the other to the bait then all ya need to do is let the line out.

Do you have any buck tails? or try a hammered copper/orange spoon they work awsome on tea colored water.

have fun

Er? fall out of the boat? Before happy hour or after? Lures mentioned should work, try deep during the day towards evening try the mouths of coves that have deep water at the entrance, points that fall off fast, the deep edges of any weed flats. They probably won`t be far from food, which for big pike could be perch or walleye. I like being on the water up north from 4pm till dark.

Pike will take a jig and pig too, 5/8 or larger worked on the edges of deep weeds dressed up with a big pork frog, pork worm, even soft plastic lizard 6-8 inch. The bump from a pike or ski is a lot more solid than from a bass.

there are weeds in that lake North West corner by the little cliff in 10 or so feet you're in a weedy bottom there are big pike in that lake , and some surprizingly big walleye too. walleye are pretty easy to catch there ,, but for the bigguns troll the big hump in the middle at night for 'em.

we did pretty good for pike , just trollin' the north shore our big pike was 37" .

I can't post pics.. i need to figure out how to reduce them in size..

keep a tight line and have fun up here.

MM

Thanks for the great input everyone.

I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that a lot of you guys are as fond of the x-rap type lures as I am.

If yer looking at a bit bigger baits the Super shad raps will do the trick.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

One thing we use here for musky to get you down is inline sinkers or canon ball sinkers 5-6oz will get you down to the fish just need to have a snap swivel on your main line then attach the sinker on the other end you will attach a 3-5' leader with two swivels on it one at each end clip on onto the sinker and the other to the bait then all ya need to do is let the line out.

Do you have any buck tails? or try a hammered copper/orange spoon they work awsome on tea colored water.

have fun

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try this setup and get some bucktails. We didn't have a single bucktail in the boat last year, but I've heard that they're essential.

there are weeds in that lake North West corner by the little cliff in 10 or so feet you're in a weedy bottom there are big pike in that lake , and some surprizingly big walleye too. walleye are pretty easy to catch there ,, but for the bigguns troll the big hump in the middle at night for 'em.

we did pretty good for pike , just trollin' the north shore our big pike was 37" .

I can't post pics.. i need to figure out how to reduce them in size..

keep a tight line and have fun up here.

MM

I'm pretty sure I know the exact spot that you're referring to in the NW corner. Funnily, we didn't really fish back there much at all, but I'll definitely give it some more attention this time around.

As for the big hump in the middle (I assume you mean the area just south of the two islands), we called that the honey hole. At several points we found ourselves just sitting over top of that area jigging, bringing in an eye with every cast. We were catching them so easily that it almost felt like we were cheating.

As for big walleye, we only saw one hog for the group which was 26" and fat. The average eyes we caught we caught were 17"- 19" and skinny.

All in all, for the week, three of us caught about 160 fish combined, but I'm sure we could've doubled that number if we just sat on top of the honey hole all day.

Edited by canadianguy33

LOL you guys are hilarious.

Thanks coach!

I already have a bunch of stuff similar to the slopmaster tandem, but regarding the shad x-rap is this the kind of thing you're referring to?

I don't quite know the terminology, but I thought "shads" were the fat lures? Do you think I should be looking for a big fat lure that goes 25'?

The deep divers are ok when you need one, but I was talking about these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...p&noImage=0

They run about 4' deep like the little ones and you'll need a rod with a pretty good backbone to throw them.