Drop-shotting question

andrey7474

Hi guys.

These days I read a lot about drop-shotting and want to try one. But I cannot figure out how to tie a hook so it sticks perpendicularly to main line. I tried Palomar knot and San Diego jam knot but could not consistently manage to get the hook stay the way it should. What is the trick?

Many thanks

I,ll try to explain.

Ok I was put on to the Owner drop shot hook by Simon Frost and David Chong.

It says drop shot hook on the package.Dont let the thin hook scare you.It is sharp and strong.

You got the polamer knot correct.Now you take the lead end and feed it back through the eye of the hook and pull it through.When held tight,the hook should be facing upwards.

Hope that helps.

Yep...like misfish sez...the secret is putting the bottom end of the line back through the eye of the hook before adding your weight causing the hook to stand out and up if tied correctly...try google for descriptions and illustrations... :Gonefishing:

First off, get yourself a small 2 way swivel, yea, yea, you don't need one but you will be changing your line nightly without one, it really twists the line. i usually tie my two way swivel to my tag line (flouro) about 2-3 feet or so of line(can always trim later)first, so you can tie a palomar to that. Than you need to attach the other end of the two way swivel (don't cheap out on this swivel either)via a palomor knot. Of course to tie it, all the tag end (3 ft of line)has to come back through. so now you have a 2 way swivel tied to main line, and about 3 feet of flouro hanging on other end. now its time to tie the small (#1 i use for 3 inch or 1/0 for 4 inch baits)hook, either a mosquito hook or like brian said, the owner drop shot, they all work well. i really can't remember which way to put the hook through the loop of the palomar before cinching so it stands up, maybe someone else can, otherwise you can experiment till you get it right, you have a 50/50 shot. i like my hook at least a foot below the swivel, so you can now tie the hook using a palomor knot to the tag line. when you are done that and the hook point is pointing up when you put some weight on the line (if it is pointing down, do it again and reverse the way you threaded the line through the eye while tying the palomar)you take the end of the tag (leader line, fluor) and feed it down through the hooks eye which will help keep the bait straight for a longer period of time. now you attach your sinker or drop shot weight (bell sinkers, pencil leads work too) to the line where you feel the fish are located off bottom. typically, you want your bait (hook)about 6 inches to 18 inches above the weight. Of course, it all depends on where, what you are fishing for and type of structure. If you desire your hook to be more than 18 inches than you might need a longer fluoro leader. If you use braid as your main line i think you can get away without the the two way swivel but for mono, unless you want to untwist or respool after every day, you should use a two way.

There should be some illustrations on different methods on the net, try a search. Hope this helps, with a little practice, you will be tying them in seconds!!

Good Luck!!

John

Edited by bucketmouthjohnny

That is the one downfall of the dropshot, linetwist, it's still a small price to pay for such an aweesome rig.

Hi ya Mark

If I may,you can get rid of the twist by removeing the hook and wieght and letting the line out while idaling in low speed.Let line free spool off the rel for a hundred yeard or so,then reel back in the line.

Hey Brian, that is the way a fellow by the name of Steve :clapping: showed me how to do it. I used to do it straight to the main line but my God, after a few hours it was yuck yuck, macka muuckie!!! :blink: I have had no problems with the 2 way swivel and no twist on main line, which saves me a few dollars and i don't think costs me any bites.

ps, you callin me old :spam::P i just turned "40" :o:(

I have just tired using this set up recently myself. I found the best thing for me was to buy the hooks specifically made for drop-shotting. Made things alot more easier.

Question, what is this line twist that everyone is talking about because i have never had a problem.

Thanks

Sean