Eating Scugog fish

Yellow14

I am just wondering what people think of eating the fish out of Scugog. I tell people that I am fishing Scugog and there is definitely a perception by some that the fish are not safe to eat. The carp scare can't really account for this because some of the people I talk to have had this belief for years. The Fishing Ontario guidelines indicate that you can eat the same fish in about the same amounts as say Buckhorn and Pigeon but still there is this attitude that Scugog equals bad fish.

The problem is that most non-fisherfolks think that all clean fish come from a supermarket. They don't realise that there is no magic, pristine body of water out there. The stuff they get from the supermarket is very often much worse than what you are catching and putting on ice. A lot of these fish are kept in unclean holds and shovelled out only to stand on a light table for a day before being processed. Then they are shipped to the market and can be kept 'fresh' for several days in the store and praps even undergo a few 'best before" date changes before being sold. These sold fish perceived to be fresh are then kept in someone's fridge for a day or two before being consumed. Nah...I'll catch my own from the body of water of my choice.

I eat a walleye that I caught from Scugog last weekend, and I am still alive.

yeah, but how's that 6th finger doing? lol

i've eaten bass from there in the past, and they taste no different from the bass anywhere else. Only ate the small ones (<3 lbs) though.