IPO's... Definately NF.

Corey

So the company I work for today had their IPO today... Initial Public Offering, for those who don't know. Apparently it's the most successful IPO since Google did theirs.

Let's look at the math here. I have 1600 shares at 23 bucks a share... it closed at 51 bucks a share... hrm.

Gotta love em...

WTG. I hear ya Corey. In the mid 60's, I was working in Toronto and the company offered their emps shares at 50%, you paid half and they paid half for you. They started at around $20 a share, I bought a 1000 and within a short time they split 4 times. I made a coupla dollars on that first 'kinda major' investment....at the time. The company was called MacLean-Hunter...I worked there at 481 University (corner Dundas) for 8 years.

Congratulations Corey. As a founder of one the bigger tech ipo's in Canada a few years back I know the excitement your feeling today. Enjoy it, its a great thing just remember one thing - diversity is your friend, when your blackouts end keep that in mind.

Nice score Corey.... but a word of advice... consider selling them... before Linux, Novell etc sue VMWares arse for copyright infringement....

http://www.venturecake.com/the-vmware-house-of-cards/

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/08/14/1618241.shtml

The last thing we want to see is another SCO scandal...but this does have some merit..compared to SCO...

Just a heads up brother... make your nickels and get out..

Gerritt.

WTG. I hear ya Corey. In the mid 60's, I was working in Toronto and the company offered their emps shares at 50%, you paid half and they paid half for you. They started at around $20 a share, I bought a 1000 and within a short time they split 4 times. I made a coupla dollars on that first 'kinda major' investment....at the time. The company was called MacLean-Hunter...I worked there at 481 University (corner Dundas) for 8 years.

Geez. I worked for Maclean Hunter too Roy. Seriously. But I was paid like a peasant.

Good stuff Corey,2 buddies of mine worked at Worldcom,one cashed in his options as soon as he could and bought real estate,he is a millionair a couple of times over.The other hung on to his...well you know the story.There is nothing wrong with taking a little off of the table and playing with the houses money!

Joe

I understand what you are saying there Gerritt, but we have that covered. The SCO thing is over and done with now. It was interesting but frivolous.

It's all good where I work... We have many sources of revenue and an excellent team to boot.

I will be wise with what I get in the way of stock purchase and options.

cd.

Corey, a word of advice: Diversify your assets!! The shares of your company are on a roll right now, take some profits off the table as soon as you can. I'm not saying to dump all of your shares, just about half of them. At least that way, you get the bulk of what you put in minus the applicable capital gains taxes that will have to be paid next year (don't forget about that). What you take out, re-invest in something else that is not is the same industry that you are in.

I'm a financial advisor and I've seen what happens when people fall in love with an investment. The earnings start to fall, the share price follows and without really knowing all there is to know about the company, people buy more, the share price continues to drop and people believe that the stock will reach it's previous highs. This was an abbreviated version of the saga of NORTEL, remember them. You'd be amazed how many people still own their shares and refuse to dump them and take their capital losses and move on.

Don't let greed motivate you when you invest, it's the most dangerous emotion along with fear.

GrilW, hang in there, I think the markets are in for some turmoil over the next couple of months as the whole Credit Liquidity issue has to shake itself out.

Good luck and please, I'm giving some free advice, I'm not shilling anything. I just don't want to see people get killed in the markets if they don't have to.

If you're fully vested you made $44800 on paper. Now the Q is do you sell or do you hold.

My rookie advice is to sell and diversify, unless you need the $$, say for a new boat ;) That amount of cash is not life changing, only life helping. When you get to $1,000,000+ then we are talking life changing....

I've been in the options game many times, my advice is, unless your think your company is going skyward sell and diversify.

Take the profit you need, and re-invest the rest elsewhere, get a proper investment adviser (I am not one, so don't take my advice!).

And finally congrats!