I got my 8hp motor wet.

Mike the Pike

Hi folks just got back from a week camping I had a great week until I flipped the 12 foot tinny.It happened real fast and next thing I knew I was in the water.I am OK I was wearing my PFD I was able to get the boat upright thanks to some kind folks.My digital camera is toast but I was able to retrieve my weeks pictures from the memory card so I should have a full report in the morning.I lost my net a red devil and a pair of rapala pliers.My sonar still works but the screen shows a light image my rapala digital scale is working.

Percher has given me some tips to try and start the motor which I will try tomorrow .The motor was upside down for about 15 minutes under water I managed to pull the kill switch before it went under .Should I worry about $$$$$$$$ or should it be easy to revive .Please let me know your experiences .After all this I am glad just to be alive .I will give all the details in my report.

Later Mike

***Ouch!***

Sorry to hear about the flip. Glad to hear you're not hurt.

By no means am I a motor expert but the same thing happened to my brother so I'll give you what advice I can from witnessing that. He towel/drip dried everything, put some oil in and replaced the spark plugs and got the motor running after an hour or so of fiddling with it and ran it for a couple of hours, but I remember him saying that if he didn't get it going really quick he'd have to disassemble the motor and dry everything out before it rusted.

If I were you, I'd call one of my mechanic buddies right away, and if they weren't around I'd start ripping the motor apart myself so I could dry things out. Like I said, I'm not a mechanic...I really don't know much about motors., but it would seem sensible to me that it's a helluva lot easier to put a motor with non-rusted parts back together as opposed to the alternative.

I hope someone here has some more helpful advice for you.

edit: I really feel the need to stress that I don't know much about motors.

Edited by canadianguy33

Well hey mike,we are glad you are ok,and not hurt,it could have been much worse. :stretcher::blink::unsure: ...so at least you saved a few things,i hope you didnt lose all your tackle.....and yes there is steps you have to do after a motor has been under water,i think you have to pull the plugs right away!!!!!as well as empty the fuel system,hopefully there is a member or 2 that know these exact steps to take...well looking forward to your report in the morn....take it easy cheers :Gonefishing: