How can a name get added to a property title

motv8tr

Ok, long story short...I'm in the process of refinancing my mortgage. They do the normal checks, call me and say, your name is on such and such a property, is it a rental or timeshare? I have no knowledge of this place and right now all they can think of is that there is another person with the same name as me. I gave them my middle name and they will do a further check. Apparently there are 3 titles and 30 names on this property.

Any thoughts??? My first thought was thought was to call the police or someone, but was told to wait while they check further on it. All is good with the credit beaureu, nothing out of the ordinary and nothing I haven't told them about.

Very strange....

Maureen

If you need to, call a lawyer - I expect that you will find that it is just a person with the same name. Some documentation though, only has first and last names.

Lawyers take the extra step now of photocopying a piece of government issued ID. I do not think they have been doing this for any length of time though.

Good luck with it.

You think government issued ID works?? What about the time the MTO told my husband that he couldn't register a new car because, in their books, he was dead, and they had the death certificate to prove it!!

Much a suprise to my living and breathing husband. Took 48 hours to fix and many trips to the MTO and phone calls to the main office in Toronto (or Ottawa, I'm not sure).

Pam

Well, we think we figured it out, still doesn't make sense though. The property is in fact in my name, along with 29 others, all for different amounts, some 1 or 2 bucks, others in the thousands. If we figure it right, it is for the easment my property borders, my name was added to the title the same time I closed on my house. The wierd part is, it is for the full amount I paid for my property, while others have varying amounts. I will call the land registry office tomorrow and see what they say.

Maureen

You think government issued ID works?? What about the time the MTO told my husband that he couldn't register a new car because, in their books, he was dead, and they had the death certificate to prove it!!

I should have been more exact in my response - government issued PHOTO ID. I never said that it works, just that lawyers are required to get copies for their files for property transactions.

You're right Mo, that doesn't makes sense. Names are usually not arbitrarily added to titles. I would be interested to hear how this turns out!

I would wait for the mortgage company to coonfirm they haven't messed up.

If not call the lawyer who closed your deal. They should have searched the title and made you aware of these issues when the deal was closing. I am assuming you used a lawyer to manage the sale and do the disbursements etc.

I would ask them to explain first... and you shouldn't pay as you paid them to do this the first time.

Keep us posted.

Probably just that your entitled to right of way on the easement-and that your paying x dollars for your own property is what gives you that right. Seen similar on shared lakefront access/beach for properties on back (non waterfront) lots.

Government Bull,

I got a letter in the mail that told me I had to pay a $45.00 parking ticket because I parked too long

on a street in Ottawa Ontario.

My vehicle or Myself have NEVER been to Ottawa, I called local Police to run my plate, they said they

cant do that to show a fine effecting it, went to MTO Office--same answer, said come back in 6 months

to see if the fine is on my car record.

I called 800 number on the letter, said my side of the story to a clerk in Ottawa city hall, he checked an

8 digit # associated with the ticket, agreed an error had been committed by the City and cancelled the

notice of fine.

He telephoned my house the next day and told me that all was well and done and to disregard the

fine conviction.

Sometime you are the statue and somedays you are the pigeon.

Regargs to all,

Rick))))))))))))))))))