G Bay Fishing Report

Well, i had to head up to GBay area to roughin the electrical for my cousins basement. Figured on a full day work for friday and a full day of fishing on Saturday before heading home before my daughter went to bed. (promised her i would tuck her in)

Worked from 9 am till 2 am Friday and still needed to finish a few things early Saturday. Finally completed the rough in and headed to Victoria Harbour, launched around noon.

After wasting 20 minutes fishing close to the launch , gunned it to one of my favorite spots, started catching right away, nothing overly huge but still worth the effort of towing the boat up for a work/fish two day get away. Damn, that first bite was awesome! Here is a couple pics of the fish we were catching

june2007016.jpg

june2007017.jpg

Thought we could get bigger fish in heavy weeds so started working shallow, nothing..

We started to make a run to the next bay over but upon getting into it, it was shallow and white jugs were starting to pop up, thought the better of it and headed back to vic harbour, another 20 minutes wasted, DAMN! Went into some good lookin junk and only had one small bucket slap at my frog, another wasted 1/2 hour. My cousin said why don't we go back to where we were catching fis, duh, what was i thinking.... we headed back there and once again started catching fish. I kept saying to my cousin i can't beleive there is not smallies here. Well, we snapped off our last prerigged tubes so i gave him a drop shot rod with a 3 inch white plastic fin s fish. he sets the hook into this decent (very close to 3 lbs)smallie

june2007018.jpg

All in all, around 15 or so buckets and one decent smallie (big fish of the day). Most of the largies were 1- 1 1/2 lbs with a few over 2 lbs and one 2 1/2.Nothing huge but when you only have a little more than 3 hours to fish, well worth it!! Next time I head up there for the basement finishing we will allot more fishing time and hopefully get to honey harbour.

ps, lots of gar pike seen, some real big ones too , pushing the double digits weight wise. And an osprey flew by us with a 1 lb bucket, lol!

Hope you enjoy, John

pss, lesson is, when you are on fish! stay on them!!! especially when you are fun fishing with limited time, after that smallie (which was a double header, i had a bucket on, we called it quits) i got to thinking we could have expanded our boat coverage a little bit on our main area and may have found better fish, oh well, like they say, you always learn every day, peace!

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds like three hours well spent! I love catching big bass near Victoria harbour on Red plastic worms or white spinner baits in the weeds. But my biggest bass by far come from j14 husky Jerks!!!! Tie one on in sparce weeds in 8 to 10 FOW and hold on! Especially in the fall. Many monsters will be swimming around. You'll also catch alot of pike to boot.

Thanks guys, Johnny bass, man, i wish i could fish as much as you do, my day came and went,now i am married with one child, i enjoy reading your reports!! I tried the deeper weedlines in the 8 foot range but only had 2 sunnies come by and investigate. Seen a few fish surface, they looked like bass but never got em.

Roy, yea, i can cover water quick enough but she was starting to howl and knowing i wanted to be off the water around 3 pm basically limited my running to within that bay, except for the Bull run that ended up being a turnaround and waste of valuable time, lol.

Brian, if ya bought a triton you would have one of them :thumbsup_anim: jk buddy!!

i think my cousin is hooked on fishing now, next up for me is a family vacation at Rice starting on the 18th, gotta find a few eyes so i don't have to fillet up a few bass :o for our fish fry.

ps, maybe i can sneak out to the upper niagara river for some action before vacation? :w00t:

Take care guys!

John