Painting Doors (nf)

Sherriff

Just a question about painting. I am changing all my doors in my place. They are all primmed but need two coats it seems to get a good coverage. I have a compressor and a paint sprayer and I wanted to know if I use the sprayer, will I need to thin the paint down a little. Also, has anyone tried this and had good results with latex paint? I hate painting these doors and wanted to make the process a little faster and easier...

Thanks

Sherriff

Jeff...I painted every interior door in the house in one shot. Take the doors and peg a couple straps of lumber across the tops with the doors V'd so they stand up/make it easy to spray both sides. I used a Wagner Electric at the time and didn't need to thin the paint at all. IF using an air gun at least run the paint thru a strainer funnel.

Hang them all first of course and make sure they fit correctly/latch correctly. Then either remove the hinges or tape them off. Then take them outside/garage..set them on cardboard and tack the boards across the tops and have at 'er. Let them dry a day or so..put on some cloth gloves to avoid dirty fingers in your new paint and rehang.

Painting two bi-fold doors by hand at the cottage with 2 coats took as long as doing every door in the house here with the gun.

If your gona run Latex or Oil paint threw a Air Spray Gun you have to thin it out. The needles are way smaller then a electric wagner gun. They work totally different in a electric you have a small piston pump pulling the paint into the needle. On a air sprayer it works on suction, unless you are using a gravity fead gun, (cup on top.. HVLP) I would Spray two coats apply the second coat as soon as the first coat is tacky.

Robin

Guest Trophymuskie

I think I've painted a few thousand of those. :dunno:

All info above is great, I would reccomend using 100% acrylic paint as it's the best money can buy. As well you can get away with one good thick coat but it's best to do two thin ones to have it last a lot longer.

P.S. Make sure to sand the doors before the first and second coats. The stuff at room temperature should dry in a couple of hours or less.