Painting touch-up advice - NF

Dutch

Hi all.

Recently moved into a new home and now need to touch up a few different problem areas. Some we created, others existing and I am looking for advice.

Problem #1 - Picture hanging holes - what is the best way to patch these so they are a non-noticeable as possible?

Problem #2 - In one area there is a spot where the paint has peeled from the primer, leaving the primer showing through in an area about 2" X 5". Seems to me like a hard area to fill and then paint to match the existing colour as if it never happened?

Problem #3 - Something was dropped and left the colour it was painted scuffed on the wall in a few small areas. It is darker and the scuff marks won't rub off.

We have all the original paint colours left over from the previous owners, so matching isn't a problem. Looking for some great hints here.

Thanks.

Problem 1. Use poly fill, you can get a small tub at CTC or any paint/hardware store, use a small scraper to fill in and even out.

Problem 2. If the paint has peeled from the primer the previous owner likely used different types ie: latex over oil, ask the paint store the best way to fix it. The only way to make it look like it never happened is to repaint the whole area. the paint that is there now is faded and you will never be able to paint just that area. Only other way is to hang a picture over it :D

Problem 3. depending on how big the scuff marks are, you might be able to get away with a light sanding and touch up the areas with matching paint.

hope this helps.

Maureen

For the holes make sure you pack the filler in and let it dry for a couple of days at least, then refill and let dry for another couple of days..... then sand and paint. Don't be in a hurry if you want a seamless patch. Nothing worse than thinking it was totally dry so you sand, paint and notice about a week later the filling dried more and shrunk leaving a smaller indent than the one you just thought you fixed....

Guest Trophymuskie

OK problem #1 is easy to fix, use any kind of drywall filler and apply two thin coats ( just make sure to fill hole on first coat and second coat should be a thin patch covering the hole and a small surrounding area ) and sand before painting.

Problem #2: you have to make sure you remove all lose paint before applying drywall filler in multiple thin coats. You may want to sand between coats as you may not be able to apply even coats. it takes a lot of practice believe me.

Problem #3: if they're isn't any dents you can touch up with a bit of paint.

Now do you have the actual paint they used or is it just the colors? Because if it is within a year you can use the same paint to touch up. Now small areas like those marks in #3 you get away with just covering those with a cotton swab or finger dabs, but as for those patches you will need to prime them and then apply a couple of coats to the area. This will most likely show so I recommend painting that entire wall over one coat to make it disappear.

All I do are custom homes and for years now I don't even perform touch ups before the owners move in. I just apply a third coat of paint to all walls after all trades have been through. That way you can't see those touch ups that are always a pain to hide.

Another tip whenever you are doing any kind of paint touch ups it is always important to feather out the area so it can blend in with the rest.

- use low shrinkage mud and patch the hole

- wait until the next day and put a skim coat over it to make it flush

- lightly sand with 180grit or wet sand with a sponge

- apply a light coat of primer the next day on ALL mud or the new paint will go "dead" and wont match

- wait for it to dry completely then use a brush to put a very light coat of paint. let this dry a little

- use a roller to apply final coat of paint on the touch up so the end texture matches the rest of the wall

i just finished painting my whole house after redoing all of the drywall. ive done a lot of touch ups so far and this method is the best and the repair is invisible. i used the same method on painted walls that were 5-6 months old and had perfect results so you should be ok. likely a different story if there is smoking in your house though...