Port Glasgow AM Report - 08-04-07

SlowPoke

Hooked up with Speedtroll (Rob) and his friend Gavin today in search of some Erie 'bows. We got setup a little later than anticipated but not by much and I don't think it made a difference as the fish were a little slow waking up.

Water was a tad rough first thing in the morning. Again, the forcast was wayyyyy off. One boat came back in while we were launching and said there were one metre waves at 45 FOW. The waves settled down after a few hours but it made for a fairly slow trip getting to our starting point.

The action started with a sheephead off the leadcore/watermelon spoon. That was the only fish we landed on the leadcore setup today and I ended up taking the watermelon spoon off. I've had that spoon on there since the middle of May!

Since we were 'bow hunting it should be no surprise that we got into the wally's with 3 or 4 in a row of average size. The bows later turned on with the addition of a Killer Bee stinger off the rigger. It seemed to be our most productive lure for the day. Since it was producing, I decided to run my second Killer Bee as a slider on the same rod. I sent the first one down to about 25', wrapped the line around my hand and just as I was about to snap on the slider all hell breaks loose with another bow. Using my flesh as a drag system (ouch) I tossed the second lure off to the side and somehow managed to tangle the line in the rod tip while trying to free my other hand. We managed to untangle the rod tip and I battled this badboy all the way in while whining about tendonitis in my left arm and my still stinging left hand. The boys were giving me a hard time about the whining and I didn't even say a word about my sore right shoulder presumably from 'sleeping wrong'. I must be getting old, I never used to sleep wrong! I could party all night long, pass out face down in a ditch and wake up refreshed not so long ago. But I digress. Rob got the net on this fish and as we brought it into the boat it spit the hook - sort of. It spit the lure and the hook stayed in it's mouth. I think the hook eye (siwash) separated just enough to allow the skinny part of the split ring to pass through the gap. It ended up being the big fish of the day or very close to it. Gavin had a nice bow as well while Rob was concentrating on sheephead and the cutest 'lil rainbow ya ever did see!

Rob may chime in with some numbers but I think we went 9 for 13 or so on bows and wally's. A few sheephead found thier way to the boat along the way as well. All fish seemed to come trolling west at various depths over 45-55 FOW running around 2.8-3.2mph. It was a slow start and a slow finish but some great action in between!

All the bows and eyes were safely released into the cooler....

DSC01035.jpg

Some of the bows...

DSC01033.jpg

-Brian

Great report & pics !!!!!! right on guys :clapping::clapping::w00t: ,glad to see the bows were in the mood today,with a few walleyes in the mix as well....man those bows sure put up a fight and dont quit till they are in the cooler....great day on the water,thanks for sharing cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Brian, good day on the water,next time try Erieau,out sw 10-12 miles,52-60 fow,neighbour went out yesterday,I was too busy and had to cancel, they managed 18 bows and 17 walleye in 4 1/2 hours,fishing is really hot right now,great report and pics,thanks for sharing,Brian P.S. copper spoons *wink*

Edited by fishandchips

Brian, good day on the water,next time try Erieau,out sw 10-12 miles,52-60 fow,neighbour went out yesterday,I was too busy and had to cancel, they managed 18 bows and 17 walleye in 4 1/2 hours,fishing is really hot right now,great report and pics,thanks for sharing,Brian P.S. copper spoons *wink*

Hi Brian, long time-no see! Ready for another London swill?

If I go to Erieau - Glasgow and Burwell will be on fire. I've learned to live with that ;)

I like Glasgow... 45 minutes from door to dock, nice ramps etc.

You're right about Erieau though, it doesn't get any hotter than it is now!

-Brian

Hey Brian! Great report and pics. Good on ya getting our with other OFNers as well. Looked like a great day out there, despite the slow start.

Howdy Cliff, stick to Greenday, Ramones are over-rated!

I don't mind the slow starts... there's only one thing worse than getting a fish on while you're setting up, a double header. Way too much work, everyone gets excited and somebody dumps a tackle box on the floor! ;)

-Brian

Brian,

either your fish was to big or you need a larger cooler ha ha ha ;-)

Good report Bud.

I've just washed my boat(in and out as it was stinking on fish everywhere), greased it up, fixed few things in getting ready for the trip North.

Might do one more day of Lake O. between now and then, but will leave all the Erie fish to you until Labor day ;-)

a

Cheers,

IceFisherman

Yes Brian

We did enjoy your pain. (just a little!) :clapping:

That is an interesting way of catching trout. But I think I willl pass on that one.

Look on the bright side, had it been a musky with braided line, you would have lost your finger entirely so what are you complaining about?

I told Brian he was whining like my ex. :whistling:<_<

This was just after he was giving me a rough time about taking so long to reel in an 7-8 pound sheephead. Yes Brian they do fight harder then trout.

AS an interesting after thought, the trout of mine that you were so determined to let escape (interesting netting technique) was a skamania. And the little critter that you gave me a hard time about catching was magnificent on my plate that night.

We did mark far more fish at Glasgow then I did at Erieau a three weeks earlier. And they were amazingly shallow. most caught in 40 - 50 ft of water, 20 down.

All in all a great morning despite the wave action.

Slept very well Saturday night!

We will have to do it again.

Speed