Leach Fishermen

jedimaster

Ok, so I am a Leach virgin. :) I was wondering do the leaches ever suck onto you when trying to hook them? How do you hook them? I was thinking of just using a rattling jig head and hook the leach on but I don't know how. May give it a try this weekend if the fishing is slow.

The ones that tackle shops sell (ribbon leeches I think) can't get through skin.

I actually induce suction onto my finger so I can stick a hook into them - Otherwise they just keep squirming. I normally stick the hook through the fat end near the sucker.

How do you get them off your finger if they are attatched, don't you have to kill them to get them off? Maybe I'll just grab them with a pair of pliers and hook em. :)

They come off easy. Almost like getting a mini suction cup off your skin. I pull mine off with my hand. Fishing leeches don't have the teeth that medical leeches have.

So they won't suck the blood out of your finger? Thats what has always kept me away from using leeches. I figured the would attack your finger. Shoudl I put the hook through the sucker or behind the sucker. and hook it once or double hook it thorugh the body?

The ones that tackle shops sell (ribbon leeches I think) can't get through skin.

I actually induce suction onto my finger so I can stick a hook into them - Otherwise they just keep squirming. I normally stick the hook through the fat end near the sucker.

Ya I let one of them try and it wasn't able to break my skin. But you sure can feel the suction.

Still kinda creeps me out. :) I will give it a try anyway. I have known for a long time that leeches work well, but I have always said frig that, I will just use worms. The preasure is on this time, with 4 kids in the boat this weekend, I will need all the help I can get trying to boat a few pic's

So they won't suck the blood out of your finger? Thats what has always kept me away from using leeches. I figured the would attack your finger. Shoudl I put the hook through the sucker or behind the sucker. and hook it once or double hook it thorugh the body?

I normally hook mine through the body near the sucker...Hooking it through the sucker is next to impossible with all the squirming they do.

If I buy them today will they last overnight in the cooler to fish in the morning tomorow and possibly into the evening Saturday?

I've had them live 3-4 days in a cooler bag with only an ice pack. They would've lived longer if I didn't stick a hook into them.

I save my left overs in the fridge till the next weekend and never have a problem

I believe there are many types of leeches, not sure but i think the ones that latch on and feed off of animals are called blood leeches, the ones sold in tackle stores as said are ribbon leeches , maybe sand leeches? ANyway the ones youll get at a tackle shop are unable to harm you. And actually the suction end is not their head, it is the rear end of the leech, and the suction cup is just there to let them stay in place while feeding on a river bed for example. Its just their for them to hang on. While they actually feed from the other end (the narrow end) All this was explained to me by the guy at the tackle shop, so done quote me, im just the messenger of the info he told me lol.

Hook them once through the sucker (tail) and they'll swim and squirm for ever. They can't stick to your thumbnail so hooking them this way is the easiest. Use a small jig or bait hook so you don't inhibit their swimming action. Just hook em once or they'll die sooner.

Change the water before you leave for home with fresh from where you are fishing. Store them in the fridge until you go out again. I have some I have had in my fridge for a month now and they are still kicking, even though they have been out for 10 trips or so.

PS if the missus complains just tell her they are a new kind of anchovy you are going to try on pizza when you get around to it.