Live Bait question.....

mgilmour83

Hey there folks, I'm heading up to Algonquin this weekend and want to take up some leeches. Now, Being very new to this I am just wondering how to keep them for the trip up. I figure they'll be okay in the cooler on ice until saturday when I go out fishing. I will be picking them up at about noon on friday. Will they be okay until then or not? I didn't use any live bait last time I went up besides worms. Also, on the way up last time I didn't really notice any bait shops on the way up either. I'll be travelling from hamilton up the 401 to 400, 11 and 60. Any shops I'm missing on the way up?

(I know pretty stupid question but I'm new!)

Hi Arsenal.... I heading to Whitney this weekend and will be taking the same route as you.....

I`ll be bringing my own worms and not really bothering with anything else but if I remember right

Ellwood Epps sells live bait??? maybe someone can clarify this????

I think it`s just past Orillia but I may be wrong??? There are a few places that advertise live bait on the way up but I can`t remember where they are exactly... Keep your eyes open and I `m sure you`ll hit a few on the stretch of highway between Barrie and Huntsville...

I usually just use plastics...

Good luck...

Doug

Hi Arsenal,

There is Bass Pro at hwy 400 & bass pro mills drive and there is a bait shop called Fish Ontario just past Canada's Wonderland in the truck stop with Wendy's, Tim Horton and gas station. I am very sure that they'll have leeches. As far as Bass Pro having leeches; I am quite sure that they do not. The have one of those vending machines and I think it only dispenses salted minnows, hard roe bags and worms. Try " Fish Ontario".

No live bait in Algonquin. I understand that can be defined as 'no live baitfish' in Algo, so woims is ok. I really hope you check the regs first. You can always call the MNR or Algo Outfitters, and I hope you do.