anyone familiar with this fish finder?

ilario

Hi gang,

this finder came with the boat I bought in June...It seems ok in shallow bass/walleye lakes, but when I went salmon fishing a few times, I don;t think it worked properly.. I marked zilch ever time..usually there at least some 'noise' if not some baitfish balls. Its the "Wide-eye" model but not sure exactly which one. I set it to 'narrow' instead of 'wide' and I've fiddled with the sensitivity and various other options.

Any clues?

thanks!DSCN1512.JPG

I have one that is a very similar model. It is okay for the basic things, such as, depth as mentioned. I have found that it does work much better if the automatic mode is turned off and it is run specifically for the area being fished. That is, do not use the fish marker as it calls everything a fish, therefore, nothing is a fish.

Focus on the area near the bottom if fishing for bottom species, such as, walleye. The pixels are limited so reducing the area is paramount to getting any detail at all.

It does a decent job of determining the bottom structure when used with the detail. I can usually tell a solid bottom of gravel from mud, for instance.

I can find mid lake humps, general shoreline structures, and I usually know when a large fish is in the area or a large school of bait fish are below.

I bought mine because it is portable, fairly inexpensive in comparison, and mostly it is easy to use. I can take it on the plane when doing a fly-in and it can be used by about anyone in my party with only minimal instruction.

Sorry that I have not been better help. It is a fairly basic model. It will not be the same as using many of the newer models with superior imaging capability.

Roy

Look up the Hummingbird web site, and see what they say. you probably can send it back to them for repair or service, if its the transducer that has to be mounted without using certain silicone calking or the transducer itself might be messed up. good luck

Humminbirds don't have a very good rep unless you go to the high end ones. Most problems I see is improper transducer location on a boat. Others are nicked transducer cables and bent connecting plugs. Also if you hook a finder up to a battery that is recieving a charge (outboard starting battery) you can get a lot of noise from that.

I use lowrance and have been happy with it. I have also used hummin bird (mixed feelings) garmin (ok I guess) and presidents (so so).

Here's a link to the manual.

http://www.humminbird.com/images/PDF/wideeye.pdf

Roger

Edited by Mahumba