new to board - a few questions about fishing the grand

Sounder82

hi all - new to the board and have recently moved to the kitchener area. i am aware of the policies of the forum with respect to naming of rivers, lets just say, i am interested in fishing the grand river. i have been out a couple times, with no luck, although i did see a beauty 20"+ jump right beside me and some smaller ones grabbing some insects.

i don't fly fish, and am sort of novice-intermediate type spinning reel fisherman. i have read that you can have some luck on small spoons (silver mepps #0), jigs, etc. i am just wondering, how hard is it to catch browns these days with a spinning rod, what kind of a % of the fish being caught are on flies?

i have some maps of the area and where some local pools are, and some books on order, i guess i am just looking for some direction on if i should just hang tight until september ish or go out and learn how to fly fish the river?

i would also be interested in hook ups for any patient anglers out there in the area (i do know the basics, just not too familar with the river) - mainly been fishing georgian bay for salmon and shore fishing for bass.

thanks,

Hey there Sounder....

Here are a few links to threads of my wife's browns that she's caught from shore...using a spinning reel and a red devil spoon...

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...ic=9565&hl=

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...ic=8899&hl=

It's not that they are hard to catch necessarily....it's fishing for them when they are actually there. The waters local to us have warmed up to 80F and above...too warm for browns in general.

Welcome to the board! Hope to see some reports soon!

thanks for the info everyone, another question for you, how is the conestogo river for fishing the summer months compared to the grand river, i have driven by some sections of conestogo and don't see anyone out there, meanwhile, the elora area looks pretty busy lately. is it just thats where the fish are, or is the conestogo overlooked?

Forget the trout fishing the Smallmouth fishing in the Grand is way better and TUBES are the best bait cause their main diet is crayfish. Get out and explore for yourself thats how I have found some really good spots, no big secrets just technique tweeking while you're on the river. Enjoy a few days a week if ya can and dare yourself to learn more as you go.

The majority of browns caught on the Grand are caught by flyfisherman. Brown trouts main food is insects and by 'matching the hatch' you can zero in on the bait of the day. It can be quite a revelation when you hit the river nymphing, notice quite a number of mayflies of a certain colour which you just happen to have in the fly box, tie on a matching fly, and consistently catch fish until the that particular hatch is over. Kind of wakes you up.

The Grand has a lot of crayfish and sculpins that you can match with a spinning outfit. White twister tails on a pink jig head are the lure of choice and as mentioned tube jigs are quite good for smallmouth. Also most baitfish or small trout imitations will work well especially at night.

Most important is where you are fishing on the Grand. This time of year the deepest holes below riffles are the best producers. You have a lot of good water around your area.