Fish Story

Bob

Headed out from Spanish today around oneish just for a little cruise. Milady and I aboard along with sister-in-law, neice and her two young ones. They came for a visit from Alberta and wanted to go for a ride and see some sights and maybe fish a bit. As soon as we cleared the last of the buoyed channel, I started setting lines, two off the back corners and two off the planer boards. The water we were fishing was 12 to 15 feet deep. Shortly after two, we got a hit and I grabbed the rod. "Holy smoke, that's a heavy fish!" I was using a 9' rigger stick with 20 lb line and the lure was a perch coloured super shad rap. I thought at first maybe big pike or musky but it wouldn't come up. Hugged the bottom the whole time. Two hours into the scrap, milady was feeding me a sandwich and a bottle of water. By this time, I'm thinking big sturgeon because it stayed down and didn't swim too fast but it had a lot of weight and power. A couple of times I thought I'd lost it when it came towards the boat and left me with slack line hanging from the rod tip. Finally, around six thirty with milady running late to take her insulin (she hadn't brought it because we were only going for a couple of hours) sister-in-law getting tired (she has cancer) and the young ones getting bored and antsy, I tightened up and let it break off. Neice did a marvelous job of handling the boat while we chased that fish around for four and a half hours. It was great fun but my arms are near dead and I know I'm going to be sore in the AM. Sorry, no pix, it wouldn't let us get a look at it but I have witnesses and I'm convinced it had to be a sturgeon. There have been 200 + lbers taken out of that part of the North Channel by the commercial boats. Maybe it was even a money fish, who knows?

Sturgeon do hit lures and I'm sure that's what I had. I can't imagine a musky fighting that long without surfacing.

I understand that the world record lake sturgeon was caught on a mepps spinner.