Fishing at Silent Lake Provincial Park

Hi folks.

My quest continues this Friday when I go camping/fishing at Silent Lake Provincial Park for the weekend. I was wondering if anyone out there had fished the lake and had any advice that they could share with me?

What species are there? Any tips on good spots to fish or baits to try? Can I fish from shore or do I need to rent a canoe? PM me if you want it kept quiet.

I hope to target Smallmouth Bass but would welcome trying for other species too so I can knock some more species off this year's quest list.

All info is gratefully received. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks in advance.

I fished there a couple times before. THere are pike, bass and lake trout, although lakers are tough at this time of year. THe lake is split into 2 halves, I would recommend taking a canoe, and taking it to the other side of the road, through a tunnel under a road. Right before the tunnel, there is a little hole in the water, it always produced 2+ pike within 15 minutes, so give it a try. We got some decent pike and bass in 10-15 fow on the other side, and give little bays a try, you should be just fine.

Write a report once your back, and good luck!!

Hi ribak, are you sure you are describing Silent Lake PP? I'm not aware of any spot that goes under the road (unless you are going into Paudash Lake) and also a little surprised about Pike in Silent and Paudash.

Silent Lake PP is a gem of a shield lake just north of Apsley. While the park supports camping, no sites are visible from the lake, and of course no motorized boats are permitted. I remember a beautiful afternoon there with the RLG before we were married - there is a nice shaded cliff overlooking the lake.

The website for this park advises small and largemouth bass and lake trout, but no pike.

Edited by douG

I've spent a lot of time at Silent Lake over the years. Used to be an excellent place to fish, but things have declined due to lack of catch and release. There are no pike in the lake. There are Lake Trout, smallmouth and largemouth, the latter being most in number. Look for sunken logs in deeper water and the big weedbed. There are not a whole lot of good places to fish from shore, you're better off renting a canoe. Good luck!