Evinrude Ficht Opinions Needed ....

mikeh

A good friend of mine has a 1999 150 Ficht Evinrude which is one of the motors with problems.

Apparently the 99s have problems with the power heads, the plugs get fouled due to fuel being sprayed directly onto the plugs. There was a fix where they pinned the heads with a deflector and it solved some of the issues.

The problem is that OMC was bought out by Bombardier in 2000 and they will only warranty from that time on.

Google 99 Ficht for more details.

There was also an issue with the newer models catching on fire so be careful what you buy.

Sorry I don't have more info but you can find it all on the net.

Do your homework before you buy.

Good Luck

Stan

My wifes uncle has a 150 ficht pushing a 196 Princecraft... I believe it's a 2000 package.

When it runs, it runs great but there is a reason he has a 25 Merc 4 stroke kicker. The ficht has left him stranded more than once on Simcoe (no start). The '03 Merc hasn't been great either (hard cold start). The ficht also had a wiring problem, shorting out between the battery and ignition switch which is probably a Princecraft rigging issue.

It wasn't until this season that both motors have run well and I was quick to take credit for it... I winterized them last year ;) His sailboat OMC engine crapped out however. I was also quick to point out that it was because he didn't have me winterize it :P

-Brian