LoveSick Lake Report

ozaibak1

Went camping last Friday, got up at 6am to get a boat rental from LoveSick lake. What a beautiful morning for fishing, well overcast and periods of sun throughout.

Started off using topwater, got many hits and hooks, but I couldnt keep them hooked VERY frustrating, but was my first topwater experience, I think a smaller bait would solve the problem.

Hook a couple perch and bass to start, then got to the main area. Eventually there was light rain, then HEAVY rain for the next 8 hours but not pouring. Having been in a lightning storm 2 weekends ago, the rain seemed relatively mild.

Advantages was non-stop fishing action, and very few boats on the water. Disadvantages is no shore lunch, no returning to fish after 3pm, soaked clothes, soaked tent, and I cut my thumb cutting the fish. Advantages FAR outweigh disadvantages, its gotta get a lot worse to ruin a day of fishing for me.

In the end, along with the usually flurry of perch and panfish we got 2 decent sized bass (2pnds) and a couple of smaller ones. I personally lost about 4 bass from the topwater, anyone recommend any tips on it? I think it just it was too big.

Regards

On some topwaters you have to wait a second before you set the hook I know it`s hard to do because your first reaction is to set the hook when you see a strike but try and wait until you feel the weight of the fish beore setting the hook.

As well if your using top water rats and such try opening up the hooks a bit this will help but these baits usually have a lower hook rate.

Good to hear you enjoyed your time on Lovesick, it's by far one of the prettiest of all the Kawartha lakes and holds alot of decent fish.

Topwater fishing is very effective for fish, specially the active, aggressive ones, but it can be extremely frustrating sometimes and you'll miss alot of fish. When the fish is coming up from under the bait, he's pushing alot of water ahead of his nose, and the bigger the fish, the more water he's pushing. As he gets to the surface, all that water being pushed ahead of him actually shoves the bait outta the way, so when he makes a grab for it, the bait is now in a different location than when he first opened his mouth.

As pointed out by lookinforwalleye, wait till you actually feel the fish, but if not, just continue working the bait as you were before and give him another chance to grab it. They'll sometimes swipe at it 3 or 4 times before you hook him up.

Frustrating sometime, but definetely one of the most fun ways to fish. :thumbsup_anim: