muskies, dead carp & brown weeds

lew

Too bad Pigeon lake has some bad weed, I had a rough trip there 2 weeks ago if you want some of the good stuff go to Stoney lake its nice and green and makes all the fish happy and mellow.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of healthy green weed on Pigeon, but there is lots of bad stuff in some of my favorite spots that is not normally like that this time of year. This is something that has only happened this year.

As for Stoney, I was there last weekend, and yes there is lots of excellent green growth, but I also found alot of terrible stuff too, that wouldn't even attract all those dead carp that are floating everywhere.

I've been fishing the Kawarthas for a very long time, maybe 50 years, and I've just never before seen this much brown, slimey weed growth, and so close to the surface, before.

I just hope there isn't an underlying problem in those waters that may even be associated with the dead carp.......but I'm just thinking out loud about that . :blahblah1:

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of healthy green weed on Pigeon, but there is lots of bad stuff in some of my favorite spots that is not normally like that this time of year. This is something that has only happened this year.

As for Stoney, I was there last weekend, and yes there is lots of excellent green growth, but I also found alot of terrible stuff too, that wouldn't even attract all those dead carp that are floating everywhere.

I've been fishing the Kawarthas for a very long time, maybe 50 years, and I've just never before seen this much brown, slimey weed growth, and so close to the surface, before.

I just hope there isn't an underlying problem in those waters that may even be associated with the dead carp.......but I'm just thinking out loud about that . :blahblah1:

Interesting comments on the Carp and weeds, when the Carp were dying off on Scugog I noticed the same thing no small fish they were all larger.

And the weed is interesting as well this year on Scugog we have a real weed problem many of my good bass spot are so choked with milfoil they are inaccesible.

The Nonquon river for example is usually difined by a healthy growth of reeds that creates a defined channel that leads to the river this year no reeds at all.

I was talking to resident on Scugog and he figures the reason for the increased amount of weeds this year is because of the late freeze up and the lack of snow on the ice I don`t know if I buy that.

I think that the months of Dec/Jan are playing heavily on what we're seeing now.I've never seen so many small fish around the boardwalk area here in Orillia as this spring.It was warm enough for spawning in early January.And weeds are already starting to die back around here in places.Imagine what it must be like in areas of the Kawartha's when the water level is adjusted as much as 4ft during the winter months.The combination has to put a strain on something.

Kerry

Should have just left the Kawarthas for us fisherman. EVerything will spread through the system because of the boat traffic and canals. Just like Pike will be into everything in here soon enough - invasive foreign species will wreak havoc even faster.

They can't even figure it out. :wacko: