Sony camera recall/fix

danc

Probably the best camera that I own is the Sony DSC-F717. I've had mine for almost 4 years now, but sadly, she's been sitting on the shelf for the past year or so since I bought my latest camera. A while back I read about a recall/fix for the ccd sensor on this and a whole bunch of other Sony cameras and camcorders that use this sensor. The free fix ends this October. I thought that I'd never cash in on the free fix because I never use my 717 anymore. Well, a couple of weeks ago I decided to dust off my 717 and take it for a spin. After it was charged I started playing with it and this is what I discovered.

717smearsample.jpg

My 717 had the problem. So, if any of you guys own a Sony digi cam, or camcorder and it's been acting up on you lately, you may qualify for the free fix. But you have to act soon. It ends in early October.

The list is of affected products is here.

Camcorders

CCD-TRV118; CCD-TRV128; CCD-TRV318; CCD-TRV328; DCR-DVD100; DCR-DVD101; DCR-DVD200; DCR-DVD300; DCR-HC20; DCR-HC20 M; DCR-HC30/S; DCR-IP5; DCR-IP55; DCR-PC101; DCR-PC105; DCR-PC120BT; DCR-TRV18; DCR-TRV19; DCR-TRV19M; DCR-TRV22; DCR-TRV240; DCR-TRV25; DCR-TRV250; DCR-TRV260; DCR-TRV27; DCR-TRV33; DCR-TRV340; DCR-TRV38; DCR-TRV39; DCR-TRV460; DCR-TRV50; DCR-TRV740; DCR-TRV840; DCR-TRV950; DCR-VX2000; DCR-VX2100; DSR-250; DSR-250/1; DSR-PD150; DSR-PD170; and DSR-PDX10.

Digital Still Cameras

DSC-F717; DSC-P10/S; DSC-P2/S; DSC-P31; DSC-P31M; DSC-P32; DSC-P32M; DSC-P51; DSC-P51M; DSC-P52; DSC-P52 M; DSC-P7; DSC-P71; DSC-P71M; DSC-P72; DSC-P72M; DSC-P8/L; DSC-P8/R; DSC-P8/S; DSC-P92; DSC-P92M; DSC-U10/S; DSC-U20/B; DSC-U20/LJ; DSC-U20/S; DSC-U30/H; DSC-U30/LJ; DSC-U30/S; DSC-U60; DSC-V1; MVC-CD250; MVC-CD250 M; MVC-CD400; MVC-CD500; MVC-FD100; MVC-FD100 M; MVC-FD200; and MVC-FD200 M.

I was warned by one of OFC memebers not to purchase a Sony Digital because of problems. So Thank God I did.

Seems like Sony, a company I thought was flawless is coming up short with flaws in their products. I always love Sony items. Infact I still have my Sony TV which I bought when I was in high school.

But when the PS2 came out there was a problem with the laser reading certain game discs. And the reason was Sony was using cheap a laser. Which I read on many boards, when I did a search. And the entire PS2 has to be replace.

And now it with Digital camers and camcorders? I think their slacking. I used to hold them very high on my list for quality. I guess its time be careful when buying any sony items in the future.

Sony has had quality issues for years now.... They had a HUGE problem with 27" to 32" CRT TV's that had distortion in the corners.... They tried to blame the stores for storing the TV's too close to large speakers, the magnets in the speakers were the problem according to Sony. Yeah it had absolutely nothing to do with them moving the production facilities for the TV's to Mexico as the hundred of thousand customers affected insisted.... Sony has definite quality problems these days in all areas, I think they are spending too much effort on Blu-ray and not enough on making other things right.

Edited by Canuck2fan

This sensor fix was not a voluntary gesture by Sony. It was brought on by a class action lawsuit in the US. You can read about it HERE.

Wow and I thought Sony had high standards. Not anymore after this read. down.gif

dsn

That's quite a list of defective products...

Lucky for me I haven't bought a Sony product for over twenty years. Had a couple of expensive camcorders that spent more time at Sony then in my use. Killed my enthusiasm for video as a hobby and Sony as a consumer goods innovator.

Thank goodness for the power of the internet - hard for a manufacturer to peddle crap without everyone knowing about it.