Chapleau lodge report

Big Cliff

Well, this is day 4 already, I've been too busy enjoying it to sit down and post. What a beautiful place! We are in The Point cottage, the view is spectacular, and the cottage has everything we need. It's been hot, 28 -29 sunny, with little to no wind and the lake is like glass.

It's taken me a couple of days to get orientated, the lake is 12 miles long with something like 80 islands. Even with a detailed map learning which island is "cabin island" or "Ray's bay" was a challange but John (the owner) aranged for some other guests with 15 years experience to give us a tour and point out landmarks. Now I am comfortable running right down to the end of the lake.

Smallmouth are hittin like crazy fight like heck and are amazing eating. Clear skys and calm waters are not the best conditions for walleye. There's no shortage of them, we have seen plenty and if you are willing to go out VERY early or VERY late you will have no trouble catching all the walleye you want. We haven't targeted lake trout, pike, or white fish and none of the other guests have either so no report there.

This morning we went to a speck lake where the lodge has a small tinny. My friend Ken had grabbed two containers of worms from our fridge before we left. Unfortunatly there was only 1 worm in the one container and two in the other lol. We did manage to catch two nice specks, had several follows, and missed about 5 that took swipes at our spinners and didn't get the hook. 

I am amazed at the level of service here, new motors on all the boats, a beautiful pool (which is really handy when it's 29*c) everything is so nice and clean and they make you feel like you are family. Every lodge has it's pros and cons,  I am really hard pressed to find a con here. I'll give this place a 5 star rating and you can bet I am already booking for next year.

• Like 8