kayak musky fishing again

ricoboxing

took the yak out for a couple hours on saturday, and went 0-2 and had one follow. A small musky jumped outta the air and spit the hook, and a bigger one spit the hook at the yak. Now I can't wait to get out again next weekend. I was targeting bass, but I guess the musky gods are calling me. Next weekend I'm gonna answer that call! I just gotta figure out how to do that figure 8 thing outta a kayak.

Edited by ricoboxing

nice...I was gonna get a kayak for fishing also....but bought a house instead. Now I am thinking I should have bought the kayak as I have no time to fish now....LOL. Hopefully next time you land one and maybe geta pic.

Hooking into a good size musky in a kayak could be a little bit like water skiing, im sure they would pull you around for a nice tour of the lake...

Reminds me of a fishing show I saw once of some guy catching a huge sturgeon from a float tube...

Rather than figure 8, try a few big ovals with about 2' of line out at the end of your cast. Put your rod in the water almost to the reel. I do a couple on one side of the boat and then change hands and do a couple on the other side of the boat, without removing the bucktail from the water. When I'm pretty certain I have no followers then I'll cast again.

I've landed three this year from Sturgeon but I'm hoping to try Pigeon this coming weekend.

060665.jpg

Good luck.

Cool, sounds like fun. I was considering getting a kayak myself too.

If bigger boats drive by do you do okay? or do you get tossed around?

I am always reading how the muskie spits out the hook, are you using single hooks are treble hooks?

Good luck!

most of the boats that see me slow down so there is not much of a wake, but you get some asses that dont care and whiz right by you. then i get tossed around a bit. \\when i see a boat coming, i just try to paddle as far away from their path.

I was using a spinnerbait so yes a single hook.

Hey danw, as long as you can get the nose of your kayak around to face the wake you'll be OK. I use a bucktail for kayak musky fishing, but with only a single treble hook. It's addictive so be prepared to never want to fish any other way again.

Yep, once you fish out of a kayak you will never go back - except to wading. Check out Rapid Medias new mag: Kayak Angler. There are also some great online resources for Kayak anglers. If you think Muskie from a kayak is impressive - and it is - check out the guys off the Monterey coast that routinely land sharks and bluefin tuna :o

• 3 weeks later...

hi

i got a little musky myself to in my yak.

I was hook on all species in my yak.i just love it....for bass or crappies or pike/musky..its jus great.

here's me wit a 36 incher musky in my yak..

IMG_1262.JPG