Tracks

Barry Willis

Your pretty knowledgeable on animals Barry so I'm curious as to what you think this track may be that I came across behind my place a few years back. Pretty sure it's too big for a coyote and no big dogs around here at the time so I'm guessing a wolf....any thoughts?

003_1.webp

• Like 1

Good morning Lew. Haha, It's funny you ask, when I was just a wee lad thanks to my dear old Dad I took such an interest in all aspects of nature (still do) and especially tracks for a couple years and published a few videos and a book that I simply called wild animal tracks of Canada.  That is  without a doubt a wolf track from a pretty much full grown wolf. you're right it is too big for a coyote, a coyote track is seldom if ever longer than 3in. A dog track is more roundish as a wolf track is long with the four distinct toes. Normal length for a wolf track is 5in. long and 3-4in. wide. I've only ever seen one bigger. The longest wolf track ever documented (I don't remember when)  was in the NWT 7.5 in. long. I would have loved to have seen the wolf that left that track. I'm glad you shared it thank you.

• Like 2