Be Careful With Your Fires

4x4bassin

Just returned from a trip in the Parry Sound area last night and thought I would give everyone a little heads up regarding the forest fire dangers in that area.

Arrived at the lake on Tuesday afternoon , when we got to the lake I first noticed that there was alot of smoke coming from the far side of the lake . We got the boat in the water as soon as possible and I took off to see what was going on , met up with a couple that advised me that one of the islands was on fire and the MNR Fire Rangers were just arriving by helicopter . The couple told me that they grabed there coolers and tried to put it out using lake water but it was too big and smokey. Good job to them !

The rangers arrived by helicopter and were literly dropped with there gear right on the island. A pump was also dropped to pump lake water out of the lake and into the hoses.

The rangers put the fire out but there was still alot of damage done. These guys did a great job !

The rangers had to stay over night to watch for hot spots and while we were there talking to them a couple shot out of the ground and this was 4 hrs after it was put out!! and yes they all had tents and gear for the long stay.

The next day the leader put a call in for a pickup and let them know it was out,and an hour later the MNR helicopter flew in from Haliburton and picked them up and they were gone, all in a days work.

I was very impressed with the job they did and the helicopter pilot was one hell of a driver to get these guys in and out of such a tight and dangerous spot(I was told these drivers are the best of the best and I believe it)

The team leader advised me that it was probably set by a careless smoker and he took the time to show me were it started , WOW !!!He also told me this fire was smoldering for a couple of days before it took off.

So in the end just be carefull with your fires because the landscape can be changed for ever with one mistake.

Good points 4X4Bassin.

Had the same thing happen to me 2 yrs. ago.

Found a smoldering fire while fishing. Had a friends two young boys with me aged 5 and 7.

The fire was buring underground in tree roots. Was caused by a camp fire not being put out properly.

I was a volunteer firefighter for several years so I knew these fires can be bad and can explode at any time.

The kid's figured we could handle it LOL. I had to drive for an hour to get to a phone. The Rangers came by truck

and I shuttled them and their gear to the fire. The kid's were real impressed and the Rangers took time out to talk to them and show them a bunch of their gear. Very cool. The next season the area was closed off to overnite camping. What a loss... caused by someone who should have known better. Once an area is lost to us we never get it back.

Good Post and advice.

Hookset.