Baitcast rod recommendation please...

mikeymikey

Since it was my first time using baitcast setup I bought a cheap BPS Medium Heavy Graphite 6'6" rod.

Now, I don't know how fishing rod characteristics are but is this how MediumHeavy rods feel like?

Stiff all the way? or should the tip should be soft?

The reason I am asking is because when I was fishing...

I felt a fish on the end of the line, so I set the hook and started reeling in rapidly at the beginning but due to the stiffness of the rod and size of the bass... rod wasn't bending so much and while pausing from reeling... I kinda had a slack in the line because there wasn't too much pressure from the rod and the hook came off or something.

I am sure hook may not have been set good enough but would it also be a problem of this stiff tip end of the rod? or is this how Med.Heavy rods are ?

Are there Medium Heavy rods where maybe 3/4 of the rod is nice and stiff while 1/4 tip end is soft enough to keep some pressure on it ?

Some inputs on characteriestics of casting rod would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Oh btw... when i was browsing LeBaron site for Shimano rods, they show rod info with Power & Action seperately. Where as other all other brands of rods from any site you look at only show the power. I don't really understand these.

medium heavy rods will be stiff.

i am assuming a lot stiffer than your used to using.

heavy action are like broomsticks!!

medium heavy are stiff for the most part.

Medium-Heavy refers to the power of the rod.

Medium-Heavy with a fast action, would refer to the "fast/soft" tip that you might be looking for.

What are do you plan on using the rod for? If its for just general fishing, I would recommend going with a medium instead.

Medium-Heavy & Heavy rods are more directed for flippin/pitching.

Hope this helps.

I started out with rods that were too soft, and I'm learning what the heavier gear is good for. Look at the lure weight rating - a 2 oz casting rating is pretty hefty, and you can find pool cues that can cast half a pound with a good load curve.

You can try to get an idea of how the rod will work by asking the salesman to hold the end while you bend it. If it bends down to the middle of the rod, it will cast nicely but won't be able to jerk free from weeds or impart action to large muskie type baits. If it's stiff all the way to the tip, you gotta crank like hell to keep the hook set. I like the fight on lighter gear better and tend to more flex in the gear.

I think that for ripping stuff outa weeds, casting bucktails, trolling spinnerbaits. a 1-2 oz casting rating would suit. This would be a m or mh rod with a medium to fast tip.

On the other hand, set the hook, keep your tip up and your line tight!

Edited by douG

http://www.stcroixrods.com/content.asp?id=70 will explain power vs action to you.

Generally speaking, selection of power will be dictated by the size of lures you're throwing and the type of cover you're fishing (ie thick lily pads/stumps vs sand bottom/mud) and the size of fish you're expecting.

Action is typically governed by the type of lure you're throwing and personal preference. For jigs, plastics, topwaters, and other baits not considered "moving baits" (baits like crankbaits which are constantly on the move), a fast action rod is by far the most popular. In many instances, I like to go even with an extra fast but if you need an all purpose rod, go with a fast.

Moving baits are a slightly different story as it's customary to get a slower action for these to avoid pulling out the hooks during the fight. Most guys will prefer a moderate action if they've got a dedicated crankbait (and some like this for spinnerbaits as well) rod.

Assuming you're fishing in Ontario for bass, if you can only have one rod, I'd go with a fast action medium or medium-heavy powered rod. Keep in mind that different manufacturers will often rate their powers differently (St.Croix ML = Shimano M = G.Loomis 2 power = etc etc). When in doubt, look at lure/line ratings instead of the power rating.

Edited by barracuda