Transom Saver(motor support) or NOT

Will be picking up my brand new ride in 2 weeks. Old boat never had Power tilt & trim so I travelled with a motor support that took the lower weight of the outboard and cushioned it with a small shock absorber connected to the trailer.

New boat has Power Tilt & trim (75 HP). Do I need some sort of Transom Saver & if so what is everone using?

Are there some better than others? Where to buy? Anything to watch out for?

Any & all help MUCH appreciated

:Gonefishing:

FT

I had bought a transom savers and because the back end of my trailer (calkin's trailers) the u shape end of the transomsaver would not fit, because, the tube of the trailer is at an 45 degree angle , so the add on piece that came with the transom saver, could not be used. if the bar or tube was 90 degree to the ground i could of used it. and my roller are under my boat at the back end of the boat. so what did i do. i look up on the web and found my wedge a few years ago. like fisherman has posted in his post which is a a five inch rectangle piece of rubber with a u shape slot cut out from one end to the other. which is placed on the piston shaft. and then your motor is trim down. well it is now a rubber paper weight. that sits on my computer desk. yes a friend lower it and cracked my trim housing. which is made of plastic. which cost me $220.00 to get repaired. so i will never be using it again. and as far as the regular one with the bar, with the v shape end at one end and u shape at the other end. still in package un used and is in the classified under manual down riggers. as for my wedge not for sale because i would not want some one else to crack there trim housing. happy fishing, see you on the water, walleyedreamer.

Edited by walleyedreamer

I just bought one for mine from WestMarine. I have 90 4 stroke. The first one I had bought, had a plastic end, which connected near the skeg. Would not support the motor from turning. I took it back and for 10 bucks more, I bougth the one that was metal. It works amazing and the motor will not turn while I am driving. Now I can also mount my downrigger bar while I am towing! :D

There were two types of set ups that came with it. One for if you have a roller near the end of your trailor, which I don't....so....I had to weld the other piece onto the trailor frame, because I couldn't bolt through and voila!

Great investment.

Edited by AzuluSpookd

any time fisherman i though it looked like a good idea at the time in 2004. when i bought it. so i found out the hard way that my wedge is not so great. stay a way from it. if it sits near your trim housing. which most are made of plastic these days. use the one with the bar. i also have red small lights in the way which prevents me from using the bar type. happy fishing, see you on the water, walleyedreamer.

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

Edited by walleyedreamer

WOW! this is exactly the reason I love this board. Walleyedreamer THANK YOU for that piece of advice. I was looking at that EXACT wedge. Thought it might be a simple fix.....NOT NOW!

Will definitely get oneof the GOOD ones before I get the new rig. Think I will contact the dealer & ask him to install on!

Thanks again!!

FT

have one for sale.if dealer charges too much. paid $57.00 new never used. selling it for $45 plus postage. will not fit on my calkins trailer. comes with two rubber tie down straps and bracket. if your roller is under your boat. you can use the bracket. the v shape end fits near the lower unit, and the u shape end fits on the rear roller at the back of the boat. or use the bracket that come with the transom saver. which is screw on the frame of your trailer. my email address is [email protected] if you are interested.

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

Edited by walleyedreamer

• 3 weeks later...