dogpaw and caviar questions

sodaksam

Hello, I am a newcomer to the board. A buddy and I are heading up to Jim's Caviar Camp for a long weekend. We just want some action. The word is that these lakes have a good number of smallies and pike, and if you want to work a bit more there are some lakers and walleyes. Any tips on presentation or depth would be appreciated. Are these lakes so crystal clear that I need to take all the fireline and Power pro off my reels and replace them with mono? I usually leave a mono leader on the end. Has anyone stayed at this resort or know the area lakes? We can't wait. Any of your thoughts would be great. Thanks

Gin clear waters usually mean natural presentations to me. I'm just relating to my steelheading practices but generally those presentations are not far from the way we should present baits to fish in most cituations when water is gin clear.

I'm old school,I like mono and I like using light pound test when fishing clear water mostly for the visibility factor. I'm shure you could run a long peice of flouracarbon to the end of your main line if you were using braided and feel your its acceptable but personally I still can't get over the fact that my main line would still be more than vissible especially to suspended fish that may not be lurking under my bait where the flouro is but instead getting spooked above my bait where the braided is definetely vissible....

There will be alot of different opinions on this subject but the bottom line is,do you feel confident that what you are doing is going to catch you a fish ????

Thats my opinion on fishin clear water.......

Cheers !!!

We just want some action.

Story of my life......fishing related of course :angel:

Don't know those lakes myslef, but I imagine tubes and crayfish imitations will work nice. Try different depths untill you find 'em. Probably will be shallow in the morning and at dusk and deeper during the day.