Long-weekend on the Massassaga PP _ Moon River

Reef Runner

Fished the Moon on Sunday. Water was highest I've seen in years so extra caution was taken boating around.  Deer flies were out in force, little buggers had an ankle feast.  The fishing was on-fire: between me and my gal we caught about 30 smallmouth between 2-4lbs all through the day, average was around 3lbs albeit no nickles on this trip.  Drop-shotting flukes and slammers was the ticket.  Sometimes you would be reeling one in and there would be one or two smallies following with your hooked up fish, just awesome.  Lots of great acrobats, hooked fish had a knack for jumping and spitting the hook which was fine with me as we were pure C&R.  We trolled muskies for a bit catching 4 northerns.  All was had in the main basin around islands.

IMG_2830.JPG

Just use the grip to weigh and measure (this smallie was a hair under 3lbs and 18inches - about the average for the day) or on-hook unruly northerns in the net.

IMG_2832.JPG

Edited by Reef Runner
  • Like 1

I have never fished the moon river my whole life. Have always heard great report from those that fish it.

Nice going

It,s funny all the reports of high water every where, yet Simcoe is dropping every day. The tell tale rock at my launch shows a foot.

• Like 1