Weedless treble hooks

snag

After raking weeds at the Bog last week, I decided to try adorning my lures with weedless treble hooks.

The lures will be my single treble in-line spinners.

I am wondering if I should sacrifice getting a "light bite" catch due to the wire obstructing the hooks tip as opposed to ruining the lures presentation with the lure trailing weeds.

Thanks!

S.

I've never seen weedless treble hooks before, where can you pick these up I wouldn't mind trying them

Hmmmmm..

Glorified implements of destruction with a mid-evil twist.. :canadian:

You'd have to dress the hooks yourself, no?

I have purchased Mustad 3/0 weedless hooks from JB's already.

(Grabbed them while picking up St.croix rod repair for myself and some other guy-forgot his name)

That was the largest they had.

I will give it a try.

I may try "Dressing" some hooks myself when I get a time machine and create extra leisure time.

I have never seen what a weedless treble looks like.

I find that if there is a skirt around the hook (like a spinnerbait) that it keeps the hook fairly weedless. There is a spinnerbait type lure out there called a rocket shad that is much like a spinnerbait, but with a treble-like hook and a short skirt that doesn't pick up a lot of weeds.

I find that it's not the hook that picks up the most weeds, but when your line wraps the weeds and then gets caught up where the line is attached to the bait. Even texas rigged worms are not 100% weedless due to this.

Good luck with yor idea.

I have purchased Mustad 3/0 weedless hooks from JB's already.

(Grabbed them while picking up St.croix rod repair for myself and some other guy-forgot his name)

Aww.. Thanx Grant. Feel free to use her, work her in a bit for me...

I wonder how hard it would be to dress them with mono to make em weedless.. There's some quality time spent in the lab for ya!!

Edited by Highdrifter

They will definately work to keep the weeds off. I have used them on a crankbait before and it'll definately do the job. Unfortunately I just dont have any confidence in them hooking any fish unless they crush the lure. For inlines I personally would switch out for a bigger single hook and probably but a soft plastic trailer and rig it weedless. (It's what I do for spoons.) I have more confidence in hooking the fish this way.

I rarely use inlines anyway so take my words with a grain of salt.

Cheers

RJ

They will definately work to keep the weeds off. I have used them on a crankbait before and it'll definately do the job. Unfortunately I just dont have any confidence in them hooking any fish unless they crush the lure. For inlines I personally would switch out for a bigger single hook and probably but a soft plastic trailer and rig it weedless. (It's what I do for spoons.) I have more confidence in hooking the fish this way.

I rarely use inlines anyway so take my words with a grain of salt.

Cheers

RJ

Hey Rob! Did you ever end up catching that elusive sucker off the Breakwall??!

Don't the weedless trebles inpact the action of the bait? This would no doubt further lessen the chance of hooking up in my books...

Thanks all,

Here are some modifications I started that will hopefully be done tonight:

med_gallery_82_84_56828.jpg

med_gallery_82_84_34442.jpg

Sorry about the pic quality. The one spinner has the 3/0 weedless treble and the other is unmodified.

It is the exact treble that PATRICK put the link up for.

You can see the modification on the jointed lure. It will have the weedless texas rig.

I have some more.....somewhere..........

Edited by SNAG

I think I have a couple on older Arbogast lures, they have a plastic weed guard that covers the points. I have no idea if they are still made, and I didn`t feel they worked that well. It was a plastic 1 piece weed guard that was slid on the hook shank.

Some lures I just didn`t throw much in weeds, easier to use a different style of lure that is weedless.