Perch Fishing. Cooks Bay or Port Maitland?

express168

Hi folks, well next week I am on holidays for a week with the family . We are staying home and doing day trips all week ,Wonderland, Marineland , the Zoo, and one of the days I am going to take the wife and kids fishing in the boat, hopefully for some perch to keep the kids interested and hopefully feed daddy. I am flip flopping between Port Maitland or Cooks Bay, any opinions? Also I would like a recomendation for a good launch facility at either location with a good dock to make it easier to launch with the 2 little kids. I don't mind paying as long as it is a good launch. Thanks for any info.

Do yourself a favour... avoid Marineland if possible... they are more expensive then Wonderland, the rides are junk and their treatment toward animals is sub-par.. I have read/heard nothing but bad things about the conditions in which their animals have to live in... and more then a few have died as a result. Your better off hitting the new water park in Niagara I have heard nothing but positive things about it! I think it is called great wolf something.. it is geared toward kids and is indoors...

now back on topic... sorry but I have never fished the areas you mentioned... I just wanted to warn you about MarineLand.

What zoo are you planning on hitting? Toronto Zoo is awesome!... Lion Safari is pretty cool too.. Bowmanville zoo is so so... Killman Zoo... well take a pass on it...

Gerritt.

Do yourself a favour... avoid Marineland if possible... they are more expensive then Wonderland, the rides are junk and their treatment toward animals is sub-par.. I have read/heard nothing but bad things about the conditions in which their animals have to live in... and more then a few have died as a result. Your better off hitting the new water park in Niagara I have heard nothing but positive things about it! I think it is called great wolf something.. it is geared toward kids and is indoors...

now back on topic... sorry but I have never fished the areas you mentioned... I just wanted to warn you about MarineLand.

What zoo are you planning on hitting? Toronto Zoo is awesome!... Lion Safari is pretty cool too.. Bowmanville zoo is so so... Killman Zoo... well take a pass on it...

Gerritt.

I second the Marineland opinion. Lots of walking between the few rides, very expensive definitely a tourist rip-off (I grew up in Niagara). The Great Wolf Lodge is on Victoria Ave near the Niagara Parkway just above the whirlpool however this time of year you might have a hard time with vacancy.

Who the hell would name a zoo "Killman"

As for fishing, I was at Port Maitland last Saturday and managed about a dozen at the mouth on pickerel rigs in about 2 hours. Early morning is better but good luck getting the family up and out early enough. Also, the perch run there typically only lasts for a couple of weeks. I'm sure Fishmaster can let you know if they are still in.

The nice thing about Port Maitand is if the perch bite is off or if the winds are high, you can fish the river for pickerel, sheephead, catfish etc. Will keep the kids busy.

There is a free launch at the mouth and there is a playground there but the lot fills quite quickly. The launch isn't the greatest but sufficient. There is a better launch at the Dunnville dam behind the arena just under $10 and it's a short boat ride to the mouth.

Good luck!

Sent you a pm with link to Cooks Bay chart if you decide to go there....not sure of launch facilities. I like launching at Sibbald Point PP when with family as kids can use playground, run around, swim there.....washrooms and picnic lunch in park is good. My wife won't fish all day but few hours on boat, few at Sibbald and back on boat works for our family-my kids are little older but still don't want to be on the boat all day.

Thanks Guys. I agree with you Gerritt about Marineland , but the kids love it and it is not about me anymore. So we will see what happens next week , I was leanining towards Cooksbay but the only launch I have ever used is the beach one at the end of 89 I beleive, and it is not that great with young kids so I was hoping to find a decent marina nearby to use. Once again I don't mind paying for a good launch with the family.

P.S. Gerritt I do plan on the Toronto Zoo, I love it there , I have never been to the Killman Zoo and never really plan on it either.

Edited by express168