Airline rod cases

tbayboy

Hey everyone, heading up to Thunder Bay next week for the annual walley fishing trip with the old gang and this year for a change I'm not going to borrow my brothers gear (broke a tip on him last year, not sure he'd let me if I wanted to hehe).

Does anyone here have any experience with the various travel tubes out there (like the Plano airliner or Flambeau rod case)? I've been reading the reviews on the bass pro site and almost all seem to have some horror stories attached so I'm hoping some of the gang here can weigh in. I was thinking of bringing some one pieces (7') but I might just stick with the 2 pieces (more options in transport that way). It'll be 3 rods probably all spinning if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Sean

We have some home made ones here....my brother in law used them to transport rods and reels from New Jersey. You are more than welcome to use them...save you some expense. I'll take a few pics for you and you can decide ok? They are made of I think 6" plumbing pipe...and they come with the proper caps that fit snugly.

ditto Percher except I went to Canadian Tire.

I had a plano rod tube but left it at home for my overseas trip about two years ago. The PVC/plumbing pipe is by and far way thicker and sturdier and cheaper, you can also cut them to length. With duct tape and rope you can also fashion a handle for carrying convenience.

As for extra charges, check with your airline because they all have different carry on policies or check the rod tube in with your luggage. My PVC tube went in with my checked luggage and came out perfect after handling through 2 transaltlantic flights and 4 transfers (if somehow something happened to be able to break them...you'd have a whole lotta other problems [like yourself being found in pieces as well] LOL).

Edited by Kirk

Sean,

I live in the states and was not charged any additional fees, as it was considered one of my checked bags. I have friends that have gone the PVC route as well and it does work fine. Only advantage is I can put a lock on my tube, possibly preventing theft of contents. The tube is also adjustable in legth making it slightly more versatile if you traveling with (2) piece rods. Hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks for the responses everyone. Can't believe I didn't think of the home made route. Cliff - I'd love to see/borrow yours thanks a bunch for the offer, drop me a pm with the details but only if its not a problem (you know, in case your planning any trips in the next 10 days :) ).

Here are some pics Sean...

The specs are....

4" Cylinder - Can comfortably hold probably 3 rods.

Length = 57"

The cap fits snugly...you shouldn't need to tape it, but you can if it makes you feel better.

You can put newspapers or bedsheets around the rods before you put them in so that they dont move around a lot while in transport...those baggage handlers aren't the most gentle people around....LOL. (apologies to any baggage handlers who may read this...haha).

rodcylinder2.jpg

rodcylinder.jpg

Let me know and I can just bring it to the office. You can take a look and if you'd like to borrow it then no problem!

Cliff

Edited by ccmtcanada

Big thanks to Cliff for the offer (save me the $10 in pvc tubing and $500 in medical fees reattaching the fingers I'd loose cutting it) and thanks to WestJet for having very clear rules on their website specifically for fishing:

Fishing equipment

* A set consisting of a fishing rod and tackle box will be accepted.

* The oversized fee will be waived, but the overweight or excess piece fee will be charged if applicable.

* Fishing rods must be encased in a hard shell cylinder fishing rod container.

Sweet, lookout walleye, I'm coming home for dinner :)

i work for a airline and i do recommend a hard shell cylinder containers.

if you are going to make one yourself, make sure to duck-tape the cap.

user information right on the tube is good idea too. burn it in if you want.

oh and make sure you put some soft padding on each end of tube/on the cap? to prevent damage to rod tips.

also, it would be a good idea to wrap all the rods together with something soft with volume to prevent it from bouncing side to side in the tube. thick old smelly socks? i don't know, use your imagination.

enjoy.

Little off topic but West Jet... well... don't see too many older? (age) employees. They all sound cheerful to the point of being annoying. and ALL of their male employees are like... well... i shouldn't be saying such thing. hope we don't have any westjet employees here.

Have fun!

Edited by mikeymikey

Doing the homemade PVC thing is a snap no cutting involved either because you just go to a TSC store and they will even cut it to length for you..... You buy the proper end caps and fittings with the PVC glue and you are done. If you want to lock it just drill a hole through the side and end cap on an angle and get a large shackle lock and bob's your uncle.

I agree with using padding in the caps and wrapping the rods. Another thing you will want to think about it what diameter to hold your rods. I have one made of 4" then tapered to 2" with a fitting because it halfed the weight. It only holds two rods though compared with my buddies 4" which will hold 3 if the eyes are small.

As for durability when we made them by bud proved it to me by driving over the glued tapered part of mine with his car. No damage at all to it.

Total cost for mine with fittings and caps was about 18 bucks.