Rod building suppliers north of the border...?

adam lancia

So after living in Alabama for a little over a year, we'll be making the move back up to the great white north. The only problem is that I am now conditioned to cheap shipping without any customs fees lol... I'd love to build myself a casting rod for east coast trout, mainly brook and rainbow. I'm not looking forward to the shipping quote, nor am I looking forward to the little note from Canada Post saying I owe fifteen times the value of the parts in duties (might be a slight exaggeration but the whole *free* trade thing sure seems like a steaming pile...). Are there any Canadian suppliers of rod building supplies, specifically blanks...? Getting guides and handle material is a little easier since I could probably order that stuff before the move, it's the blank I'm concerned about as far as shipping goes. Suggestions and ideas welcome, thanks in advance!

Rod Builder Supplies is pretty good, even if you don't see something in his catalog, ask and he can sometimes get it in. Not always the fastest though if you have ordered a non-stock item.

Mudhole works, never been hit with a duty fee when receiving parts from them. But, their international shipping is very high and the free shipping promotions don't apply to international orders.

I find the First Cast to be hit or miss, they only stock so many parts. Same with Angling Specialties in Scarborough. 

For my fly rods I've got a relationship with an online shop out of Grand Rapids where he calculates the actual shipping charge on the order and passes that on to me, rather than a blanket international shipping charge. But he only deals in fly rod components from certain manufacturers.

Other option is getting a US postal box, or having things mailed to a relative you see every so often.