GoPro 4 Silver Freezing constantly. NF

Raycaster

Was doing ok on Balsam so thought some GoPro footage would be nice.

I have a GoPro 4 Silver and use it rarely but always worked fine.

Went to use it and now it locks up after 10 seconds turning on.

If I use the touch screen or buttons or nothing it just auto locks at 10 seconds with removing the battery the only fix.

This happens with a SD Card inserted or not.

I have done every forum/youtube/help website instruction possible.

Reformatted SD CARD and it freezes with or without card.

I Have switched SDCARD that has worked fine over 1 1/2 years. (SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB GoPro approved)

I have manually updated the firmware (it didn't need it but I have tried everything.

I have reset the camera. Held buttons for 10 seconds in various sequences.

I have hard reset it (hold front button and insert battery)

I have changed and re-charged all batteries.

I got no problem taking it apart if someone has a internal fix.

I assume out of warranty repair would be more than its worth...

Anyone have a secret fix I missed or is it an expensive paper weight now?

Thanks ahead.

You have done them all. This was/is a common issue with the Hero 4s. I had a Hero 4 Black edition that did exactly the same thing, I bought the 5 year best buy insurance for like $60, they replaced it with a Hero 5 Black with a $100 gift card thrown in. I won't deal with GoPro customer service, found them to be unhelpful and obstructive, my camera was still within the warranty period for Gopro but decided to cash in my other Warranty and save a bunch of grief and time. I remember when I was researching the same issue you are now having that many folks who were outside of Warranty with GoPro were only being offered the chance to return the camera and receive 20% off a new purchase....crappy deal if you ask me.

Wheres that Terry guy when you need him??????????????

Oh ya, he,s fishing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, DAMIT.

I have my first go pro camera. Session 5. I have to say it works great, WHEN, it does. I find it seems to have a mind of it,s own. Will be sitting there off, then just come on by it,s self. I have probly reset factory settings 10 times since I got it. Recently, I have been getting the format SD thing. (this I could use help on )I like the small cube thing and all, but thinking of going back to the fugi brand. I miss the zooming in mode most of all. Cant do that with the go pros it seems.

Well since its just a $400 brick now a disassembled and hoped cleaning it would help out.

Nope.

IFIXIT site has $99 US oem motherboards for Black but not silver.

After reading all the freezing complaints you'd wonder why there wasn't a recall or lawsuit.

No lawsuit as far as I know, but I think their stock value crashed around that time. They are a very arrogant company in my view, and whoever is in charge of development and design is a moron, for example, the new phone app that replaced the old one requires a sign in, in other words to use your phone as the view finder you need wifi or cell service...yeah right, I have that in the middle of Lac Seul!