Anyone have exprience with Old Hickory Buildings?

Stopped at Home Hardware in Cayuga today and saw some very nice pre fab sheds, single car garage, and bunky. The one we are looking into is a 14X40 with a covered deck, makes a great 3 season bunky. They deliver, prep the land and erect for 14K. I know it will be much more once you pay for everything they don't tell you like stain/paint shingles maybe etc. Free delivery within 50 miles but I can't find out where they are in Ontario. I am sure the County won't let me erect it without proper footings not concrete blocks as their website says. A US company from down south with Ontario dealer. I can't build one myself for that price, Less than 30 bucks a square foot. Would be fantastic for a remote camp where permits may not apply. Heck we have had 4 guys in a camp shack 1/2 that size.

Anyone have one? What do you think?

oldhickorybuildings.ca

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I bought one a couple months ago in st george. 20x12 lofted barn. 7500 bucks out the door. I layed down gravel and damped it down. They dropped it perfectly on the pad. He was in and out in half an hour. I am very happy with it and would have a hard time building it myself for that price. Can't beat the convenience of it. I have since ran electrical and made the loft bigger. I'd recommend it

Although they don't go out of their way to say so, you still need a building permit to put one of these up if it's over 10 square metres (106 sq feet). That said, assuming you get a permit, you need to meet OBC which requires that you put in a foundation, slab, or otherwise anchor it down which they point out is NOT included. The anchoring details would need to be provided with your drawings and permit application.

This is not necessarily a show stopper, but I know of some folks who were led to believe than can just stick one of these pre-fabs wherever they want without a permit which isn't necessarily true.

G. Mech I am all too well aware of Building Code requirements. I can't count how many permits I pulled. I would also need approval from The Grand River Conservation Authority and maybe the Long Point C.A. as well. It isn't to Code to sit it on concrete blocks as advertised. Those blocks they sell that people put decks with egress from a dwelling and sheds on larger than a Dog house are totally not allowed in Ontario like you pointed out. Thanks.