Toronto marinas, boat launches & the Scarborough Waterfront Project

John Bacon

The TRCA is looking for some input for the Scarborough Waterfront project. They do not currently plan to include a marina because existing marinas do not have waiting lists for dock space. However, another post on this board mentioned that one of the marinas at Frenchman's Bay was purchased by a group intending to build condos. If the marina in Frenchman’s Bay closes, there may not be enough dock space in other marinas to accommodate boats currently docked at Frenchman's Bay. I think it is important that the TRCA understand this. I have posted some links below where people can post their thoughts. The environmental assessment will be completed this year, so time is running out for us to include our input.

Boat launches are another issue. Even if there is sufficient docking space for those who keep their boats in the water, I think we are already short on launches for those of us trailer our boats. I have had to turn around a leave Bluffers Park without launching because the parking lot was full. If we lose the launch at Frenchman’s Bay, this problem will become even worse. Even if the TRCA does not include a marina, they should at least include a boat launch with parking.

Scarborough Waterfront Project:

https://trca.ca/conservation/green-infrastructure/scarborough-waterfront-project/

https://trca.ca/conservation/green-infrastructure/scarborough-waterfront-project/contact-us/#gf_16

^they do. Frenchmans bay.

From what I understand, the marina with the ramp on the east side has been purchased by a group intending to build condos. TRCA plans to "improve" the ramp on the west side, but their "improvements" don't seem to include a place to park your vehicle and trailer. Neither of those launches are very good to begin with; and we may lose one altogether and most of the parking at the other one.

Be nice to have a ramp somewhere near port union.

There was consideration for a marina at beechgroove, which is pretty close to Port Union. I think the Guild Inn is a better location though; that is still not too far from Port Union.

The plan has already been modified due to public input. So if enough people give feed back there is potential for them to add a launch and/or marina.

From what I understand, the marina with the ramp on the east side has been purchased by a group intending to build condos. TRCA plans to "improve" the ramp on the west side, but their "improvements" don't seem to include a place to park your vehicle and trailer. Neither of those launches are very good to begin with; and we may lose one altogether and most of the parking at the other one.

my apologies, I should have read the whole post, I skimmed through it and responded to fastrax.

Here is some more information if anyone wants to have some input on the waterfront project.

Good Afternoon,

As someone who has expressed interest in the Scarborough Waterfront Project by submitting comments/questions since the commencement of the Environmental Assessment (EA) last January 2016, the Project Team wanted to ensure you were aware that the Scarborough Waterfront Project will be going to the Authority on Friday, July 28th. The agenda for this meeting will become available on Friday, July 21st on this webpage (https://trca.ca/about/boards-committees/minutes-agendas/).

If you would like to make a delegation in regard to the Scarborough Waterfront Project to the Authority on July 28th, complete the Request for Delegation Form found here: https://trca.ca/about/boards-committees/delegation-information/

If you would like to submit a correspondence item to be on the agenda, on its own or in addition to making a delegation, please send an electronic copy to Kathy Stranks at [email protected].

Should you have any further questions regarding the delegation process please contact the CEO’s Office at 416-661-6600, extension 5264.

The deadlines for delegation confirmation/correspondence submission are July 19th (to make the regular agenda), OR July 26th (to make the added agenda).

Kind Regards,

The Scarborough Waterfront Project Team