Need to Rant N/F

LittleWorm

Never works? Actually, it works quite well for valuable employees who're in high demand. Not so well for those who aren't as valuable as they think they are.

It's a job, not your wife or family. Tell them how you feel and simply move on if you don't like their response/outcome. Far too many people go to work every day hating their jobs and it should never be that way.

Saying it works quite well is being short-sighted. My original post talked about doing things on your our terms...employers do that too. It's easy to win the battle and lose the war. If you need to blackmail your employer, as opposed to scheduling a meeting and negotiating your position, you're probably working for the wrong company.

Well it's been a few days and I have cooled off some. 20 years ago in my younger days I would have been arrested for assault the day they told me they hired someone else but I like to think I am older and wiser. I have updated my resume and have a few interviews to go to in the next week and a half.

To answer some questions, I did talk to my manager and regional manager and it was a decision they both made to go with someone else for the full time position and their reasoning was I am already there as a pert timer and it's easier to find a person looking for full time work then a pert time position.

Now what really grinds my gears , and I can't help but laugh is that I am training the supervisor and full person they hired, i'm not good enough for the position but i'm good enough to train people for the positions! Both seem like really nice guys and I am holding nothing against them as they had nothing to do with me not getting hired but I do find it funny that I have to train both of them on what tools are what and how to use them ( as well as out computer system ) . Their tool knowledge seems to really be lacking.

Like I said, resume is done up and being sent out, I like my job and am very good at it and really wanted the full time position but it's not to be. I held my temper ( and my tongue ) in check to keep my job to bay the bills and buy more fishing gear!!!

Hopefully one of my interviews coming up will pan out.

Good for you! When you do leave don't burn any bridges behind you, give proper notice, don't bad mouth the company, keep your head held high. It is amazing how often down the road the past comes back to play a role in your future!

If you are asked why you are leaving simply explain that while you loved your job and the company you wanted full time and they just didn't have that opportunity available for you right now.

Lastly; it sounds like one of your best qualities could be working against you. In your OP you mentioned that you went overboard in stepping up every time they asked. Learn to say NO sometimes, coming home in the middle of a shopping trip because they needed you for a part time position..... how did that work out for you?

Keep us posted, I bet things are just going to get bigger and brighter for you from here on in.

Never works? Actually, it works quite well for valuable employees who're in high demand. Not so well for those who aren't as valuable as they think they are.

It's a job, not your wife or family. Tell them how you feel and simply move on if you don't like their response/outcome. Far too many people go to work every day hating their jobs and it should never be that way.

Bingo

Good for you! When you do leave don't burn any bridges behind you, give proper notice, don't bad mouth the company, keep your head held high. It is amazing how often down the road the past comes back to play a role in your future!

This is absolutely true. When I finally left my first job to become a GM elsewhere....guess who came calling about 3 years later? You got it. My first employer (whom according to grimsbylander I blackmailed) asked that I come back to join them in a significant role. Apparently they didn't feel my honesty (needing a full-time job) was blackmail! We chose not to go back as I loved where I was working. However, to this day (23 years later), I still have a great relationship with the folks who were wise enough to give me that full-time job they knew I was looking for.